500 Jeffery Scope Bite šŸ

Iā€™ve done a bit of ā€œweak sideā€ shooting with various rifles, even killed a Whitetail from a seated position when the deer was impossible to shoot from strong side without a lot of movement!

But, Iā€™m too ā€œCSā€ šŸ’© to try my present (since ā€˜91) hunting rifle @ 59 and some change ft/lbs recoil! I really need to ā€œman-upā€, ā€œstep-up to the plateā€ and add another scar to the long and distinguished list of other scars!

Though, it may be difficult to locate among the others between my eyebrowsā€¦..unless itā€™s still bleeding of course! šŸ¤Ŗ memtb

Gday
I wish you luck Steve that rifle stock sucks

To late šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø as I wouldnā€™t have a scope on that even with that break

For a comparison if someone reminds me Iā€™ll see if I can dig up my sako shooting the gen 1 of this bullet @3000 fps & itā€™s got no brake & nowhere near as snappy as that thing
Today I have retired the scope off it as Iā€™m trying to develop muscle memory with open sights for elephant but I may resort to a red dot as my eyes are not as good as they use to be & less issues technically with a red dot than a scope so thatā€™s why itā€™s on my maybe list yet the scope I did use on it has never let me down on around 2000 shots but itā€™s a day closer in my eyes for elephant that is a risk I donā€™t think I want to take but depends how everything thing goes

So Steve I would put a red dot on that if possible as your rings or scope are only one shot away from a disaster on that rig imo even with the break yep thatā€™s a snappy sums of bi-ch

I wouldnā€™t take a shot even off sticks with that get your forearm further forward as that will help slow it down a touch but not much but I found it helps you roll more with it

Just get that cape on video with the impact of your shot is the only one job you have šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Looking forward to how this pill does & autopsy results are a must šŸ˜ŽšŸ˜‡

Yes Iā€™m going to ring tino šŸ˜œ
Wish I was there but the stars didnā€™t align as we no so go smack the snot out of them for me & look forward to the results

Cheers

Yes on a Red Dot, but likely too late.

In my opinion a good break, on a high recoil firearm enhances scope failure, not mitigates it.

Gday Carl
šŸ‘

Brakes on these big bores is one that I donā€™t like & joe has been trying to get me to put one on & I refuse not from recoil but the issue it causes the people around you & in Steveā€™s case itā€™ll be tino
On the buff it wonā€™t be to bad as tino will be able to somewhat distance himself in most cases for buff but I donā€™t know the terrain they are hunting in so that may also not be correct also thatā€™s if all goes well & a break on a DG hunt is never good when thing go pear shape

But if on elephant that rifle imo wouldnā€™t be accompanying that hunt as you need your ph on your shoulder a @ all times once your shot goes off
Those critters deserve the utmost respect & then more & your ph is key here

Jm2cw

Cheers

The leaf sights disappeared on all my rifles years ago :unsure:. For the big boomers I quite like a ghost ring but I've found a red dot to be extremely easy and fast. This setup on my 458 Lott works great, plus if you want you can turn it on at the start of hunting season and turn it off when it's over. They claim the battery will last a year. :oops:

red dot.jpg

I don't know about the brakes breaking scopes deal. Kirby puts brakes on almost all his custom rifles in the Allen Magnum calibers, and never heard anyone complain about broken scopes.

He put one on my Model 70 300 WinMag he customized and have had the same Mark IV on it for 20+ years.

@Steve Davis

Iā€™m curious how your shoulder feels as well. Your shoulder is likely to be tender in the pocket where the butt makes contact but does your shoulder muscles hurt on the outside and even on the backside of your shoulder from the muscles getting stretched?

Asking for a friend
Kneedeep
No shoulder issues with or without the brake. Other than you could tell that you had been punched. I have a pretty good recoil pad on it. I do have an electronic red dot here that I could put on. This model. Let me know what you all think. No way to run open sights on it.

No shoulder issues with or without the brake. Other than you could tell that you had been punched. I have a pretty good recoil pad on it. I do have an electronic red dot here that I could put on. This model. Let me know what you all think. No way to run open sights on it.

Steve, I canā€™t speak about that red dot sightā€¦..but ā€œknock on woodā€, Iā€™ve had a Burris Fastfire 3, 3 moa on my S&W 460 XVR. It seems to have nice features. They now have a Fastfire 4ā€¦.perhaps even better.

It seems to be holding up pretty well with a few 400ā€™s pushed pretty hard. I have no idea of the actual recoil, but it seems to be fast impulse and jumps a bit! memtb

Back