500 Jeffery Scope Bite 🐍

If you’re running a scope now then you probably have your cheekweld close to where you need it for that red dot. I would figure why not try?? How it handles recoil I don’t know but it’s going to be a lighter optic and to my mind that makes it easier on the mounts and everything, just that much less inertia and torque to get it moving in recoil, I can only see that as being a benefit for maintaining zero.

No shoulder issues with or without the brake. Other than you could tell that you had been punched. I have a pretty good recoil pad on it. I do have an electronic red dot here that I could put on. This model. Let me know what you all think. No way to run open sights on it.
I would!

I don't know about the brakes breaking scopes deal. Kirby puts brakes on almost all his custom rifles in the Allen Magnum calibers, and never heard anyone complain about broken scopes.
Just my opinion. We've totaled both scopes and , mounts over the years, with and without breaks. We've also seen scope tubes crimped. Still a limited data judgement.

Kirby uses 3 rings a lot, so one can assume increased stress on optics. While this may hold scope in place that force has to go somewhere.

Air rifles can be hard on standard scopes as the motion is forward. Some of the videos on brakes show barrel whip, and sudden changes in direction of forces, energy is being redirected not eliminated.

I've also been referred to as a :poop: magnet, no matter what, if it can fail, it will be when I'm in the mix.

I truly believe that red dots are the best sighting system for the genuine big bore hunting rifles I just don’t know if I can bring myself to put one on my 500NE, there’s a lot of classic appeal with that rifle (at least while my eyes last 😂)

I would definitely give it a try if you have time before you jump on a plane! Only thing is if you feel more comfortable with a scope and don’t want to change things up without much time to practice ahead of such a big hunt?

A mate of mine took both on one of his Africa trips with a quick detach system (can’t remember which system.. may have been recknagel..) so he could chop and change depending on what he was hunting, ended up saving his trip as his scope died on him just about the moment he got there and he used the red dot for the lot..

Anyway, not sure what mounts you are using and whether taking both or easily switching is practicable?

Gday Steve
I’d give the red dot a whirl
The next part of the equation is where to position it
That is probably better answered by the more seasoned red dot users

Cheers

For what it’s worth, again with the Burris, It works well for me at arms length when hand gunning. Also, again knowing nothing about the Midas, the Burris has an auto mode…..whereas the dot brightness varies according to ambient lighting. It also has an auto shut-down after several hours (can’t remember how many) to conserve the battery, should you forget to turn it off after use.

Of course I forgot to mention……I have T-Rex arms! 🤪 memtb

I think I would put on the front of the action, that’s what we did on my 30wcf m94 and it worked well (special mount), you have a scope so mounts are already there. It also keeps it away from your face, if one had a quarter rib that could be an option? But N/A here regardless. Just my two pennies.

I’d certainly want a back up sight and mounts for such a heavy recoiling rifle. I’d consider this rig unproven in the field so a backup or two is what I’d consider.

From my experience mounting red dots (depending on what style and brand) the smaller dot sights line up better for me when located at the front of the receiver as opposed to the rear.

Can’t wait to see the outcome of this hunt
Kneedeep

I'm a big fan of red dots, been using them for years. Ended up with a Hensholdt RSA and an Aimpoint T2. Beat on both pretty hard, and they seem to hold up and hold zero.

RSA lives on my bear gun.

The Aimpoint weighs only a few ounces, and I'll often pack it as a backup optic in case my scope goes down.

I've tried scout scopes, extended eye relief and all that - never got comfortable with them though.

When it comes to red dots, personally I like them mounted as far back on the receiver as I can get them - seems like I get a better FOV that way 🤷‍♂️

Just my experience - I claim no expertise 🤣

I think I am sticking with the 1-6x24 scope. It is on my 4457 form. Taking a loose optic not attached to the firearm could be a big issue, particularly coming back into the states. I've shot it now about a dozen times with no issue. Holding a 4" group at 100y standing off sticks. I won't be shooting it prone! I'm good to go!

I think I am sticking with the 1-6x24 scope. It is on my 4457 form. Taking a loose optic not attached to the firearm could be a big issue, particularly coming back into the states. I've shot it now about a dozen times with no issue. Holding a 4" group at 100y standing off sticks. I won't be shooting it prone! I'm good to go!

I don’t know if this may interest you……and perhaps, it’s already been done.

For the scope bases on our hunting rifles, we drilled and tapped the rifle receiver for larger screws. I’ve heard of screws shearing off under recoil from high recoil rifles, we thought that it was cheap, easy insurance to prevent that from happening. Nothing is guaranteed, but we thought that it couldn’t hurt! memtb

For the scope bases on our hunting rifles, we drilled and tapped the rifle receiver for larger screws. I’ve heard of screws shearing off under recoil from high recoil rifles, we thought that it was cheap, easy insurance to prevent that from happening. Nothing is guaranteed, but we thought that it couldn’t hurt! memtb
We have sheared screws.

The larger ones will help, but only if decent quality screws are used.

I can't recall the brand, but a maker of one of the better quality rings, and bases used to outsource screws. Yep! They sheared too.

We have sheared screws.

The larger ones will help, but only if decent quality screws are used.

I can't recall the brand, but a maker of one of the better quality rings, and bases used to outsource screws. Yep! They sheared too.

Wow….your shooting something with a bit more punch than our stuff.

Another thing that we do, not only larger screws, but blue Loctite on those screws……..and, the base(s) have Loctite applied also! Nutt’n a hammer and torch won’t remove! 😜 memtb

Wow….your shooting something with a bit more punch than our stuff.

Another thing that we do, not only larger screws, but blue Loctite on those screws……..and, the base(s) have Loctite applied also! Nutt’n a hammer and torch won’t remove! 😜 memtb
Unlikely to be bigger or more frequent. We also use all the tricks of the trade.

Like I said.
I've also been referred to as a :poop:magnet, no matter what, if it can fail, it will be when I'm in the mix.

Back