Anyone load 213 HH in 338/06 (AI) , Win Mag etc?

Just asking, I have some samples and if they fir my magazine in this MK V ULWT see what they will do. It looks "long" though. Would love anyones input! :)
I'm working up loads for that bullet now. I have not started with the 338WM yet but am getting close on the 338-06AI. It is a long bullet, I can tell you with a C.O.L of 3.375 and a non compressed load of Alliant 2000-MR I am over 2800fps with a 22in barrel.

Last edited:
Thanks '06! I was looking at them again today and full caliber part is a looong way from the tip, ha. I see where the SAAMI specs clain something like 3.440" COL, but you couldn't tell from a cursory look-see in this mark V's magazine. I should get my rifle back by end of this week, I'll be able to load a dummy round and see if its even worth the trouble. I appreciate the help sir! This rifle shot the 210 TTSX just fine as a standard 338/06, but I didn't clock it yet. I sure would like to use these 213's though, they look like a Rocket!

Yep I would not be worried about going over the MAX COL, they are so thin up front not going to contact the rifling. The limit for me is what will fit in the magazine. My rifle is a M70 Classic with a detachable box mag. I can't go any longer than the 3.375 I am working with.

Last edited:
This Mark V 6 Lug scaled down action seems real close to a Winchester 70 magazine length. It is no way close to a Mod 700/or clone (Bergara B14) I'm just getting anxious to get this rifle back, fireform some cases to the Ackley Improved and see what she will do. I had sent my Leupold 2.5x8 in for repair. It had an internal gasket or something sticking out into the FOV, bugged me. It also had the windage cap cross threaded when I got it. Don't know if they can chase the threads on it or not. I don't favor heavy/long scopes on lightweight rifle, but I have a hunting buddy who does! He has used the same Browning BLR in .308 since High School (1970) and several years ago he put a hog of a Burris Signature, had a big 50mm Objective and long as a Toddler's arm, ha. He said he liked how it "gathered light" in the darker timber/aspen. I'm glad he is packing it, not me!

Got my Leupold back, and got my Sightron 3x12 Big Sky off Ebay! I'm gonna put the Leupold back on the Mark V, and try out the Sightron on a new to me Kimber 8400 Classic 300WSM. I have extension rings, I want to get a muzzle brake on it too and a Trigger Tech Primary. This will give me two elk worthy rifles to swap at the range and take on hunts, when I drive/camp. I like a "New York Reload" when carrying Concealed and I like having a spare if/when something goes wrong with my primary rifle. It has happened to me a couple times...spooked me! ha One time was I able to save the hunt/trip by using the group (my friends rifle) spare ( my previously owned Mod 700 Classic 300WM & vetted rifle I gave my hunting buddy before the trip!) Its just my OCD and my "poor as dirt" bringing-up...it gave me "issues", lol. I hate junk/cheap guns, and at 71 I'm big into "Pride of Ownership". :)

Last edited:
I have a couple of really good 338-06AI loads worked up using hammer bullets. Just did my accuracy testing this weekend the 186 gr Shock hammer was 1.2 inch average over 10 shots, the 213gr Hammer hunter .7 average over 10 shots! My rifle is a Winchester Mod 70 with a 22in Proof barrel 1/9.4 twist. The 213 HH is a long bullet, the 3.375 COL is the max length I can use in my rifles magazine. My model 70 is one of the DBM models.

213gr Hammer Hunter
61.8 gr 2000-MR
COL 3.375
WLRM Primers
Norma 338-06 A-Square brass fire formed to AI
Silencer
2900 fps

186gr Hammer Shock Hammer
61.5gr A2520
COL 3.175
WLRM Primers
Norma 338-06 A-Square brass fire formed to AI
SIlencer
3160 fps

That 186gr load is over 4000 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle. With the 186 gr Hammer I could only get about 90 FPS more from my 338WM and the 338WM has a 24 inch barrel!

Last edited:
Thank you sir, looks like I'm limited to a 3.40+ magazine box. I probably won't even try the 213s as you are indeed right about them being long! PM me your address and I'll give you what I have? No sweat and all that good stuff!! :)

Back