Bullet for 30/06

Jet

I am wondering if one of the 130g hammer bullets would work for deer and antelope in 30/06? I will be reloading for 3 30/06 shooters in the family. I have not reloaded for about 20 years so I will need to get all the components.

Assume 1:10 twist? If yes, the 137HH, 138HHT, 154HHT all will be awesome. Range <500? Heavier bullets like 166HH and 180HH will do fine.

Also:
Welcome from Wolverine state!

Just a reminder to review these threads:

Thread 'Attention All Members: Privacy Review Request'
https://hammerbullets.com/hammertime/threads/attention-all-members-privacy-review-request.456/

Thread 'Forum Rules'
https://hammerbullets.com/hammertime/threads/forum-rules.649/

Loading Hammer Bullets - What Have We Learned?​

Loading Hammer Bullets - What Have We Learned?

gltaylor Global Moderator (originally posted 6/7/2022) Loading Hammer Bullets-What Have We Learned? A question came up – “How do you load your Hammers and how did you start?” I bet the vast majority of us started loading cup and core lead bullets. Some of us started loading to try and get...
hammerbullets.com

Hammer Load Data:
Thread 'Hammer Hunter Load Data'
https://hammerbullets.com/hammertime/threads/hammer-hunter-load-data.7/

Thread 'Absolute Hammer Load Data'
https://hammerbullets.com/hammertime/threads/absolute-hammer-load-data.8/

Thread 'Hammer HHT Load Data'
https://hammerbullets.com/hammertime/threads/hammer-hht-load-data.562/

Welcome from West Texas.

Being rather partial to the 30-06 I have run most of the Hammer line through one, from the 124 to the 196. I had great luck with the old 152's (nearly identical to todays 150's), and have killed a few deer with the 151 absolute hammers. Also tried the 166, 174, and 181's. I plan to do more tests with the HHT line but haven't as of yet. I found the 196's heavy for that cartridge although application would come into consideration here. The 166's and 151's were kind of my go to until I tried the 137's. The 137's have pretty much become my go to bullet with the 30-06 and the 308 and provide, in my mind, an excellent combination of velocity and performance. In fact I proofed a load just today in a friend's 308 with 137's and N135 powder that shot nicely over 3000 fps and the group was one ragged hole. This was out of a Remington with a 20" barrel.

Regards

Welcome from West Texas.

Being rather partial to the 30-06 I have run most of the Hammer line through one, from the 124 to the 196. I had great luck with the old 152's (nearly identical to todays 150's), and have killed a few deer with the 151 absolute hammers. Also tried the 166, 174, and 181's. I plan to do more tests with the HHT line but haven't as of yet. I found the 196's heavy for that cartridge although application would come into consideration here. The 166's and 151's were kind of my go to until I tried the 137's. The 137's have pretty much become my go to bullet with the 30-06 and the 308 and provide, in my mind, an excellent combination of velocity and performance. In fact I proofed a load just today in a friend's 308 with 137's and N135 powder that shot nicely over 3000 fps and the group was one ragged hole. This was out of a Remington with a 20" barrel.

Regards
Yup, 137HH is a sweetheart death pill!
N135 has been an impressive powder in both 708 and 308 for me. N135 and IMR3031 can be used within .5-1gr of each other too. Both powders have great cartridge versatility. I am using N135 at 39.5gr shooting 200gr Bergers out the target gun. Lower recoil and the best velocity.
N135 in 708 with 120HH giving single digit SDs with 90rnds total. 50shot group, and 40 shot group on different days even and out of an AR platform of all things. INSANE! In a very good way!

Jet

Welcome from Central Florida.

I think the 137 Hammer Hunter is the finest bullet on the planet inside 500 yards.

I also like the fact that the data swaps over perfectly and safely for the 135 pH and the 120 lever hammer.

For a 125 yd food plot or feeder the 120 lever Hammer would be hard to overlook.

This place is awesome

💥🚀🔨☠️

Thanks to replies on this site I have settled on the 137 HH for the 30/06 rifles. Any suggestions on what powder to purchase for the 06. When my sons heard I was going to start reloading again, they would like me to reload for a7mm mag and a 280AI. Any ideas on a hammer bullet in the 140-150 range and a suitable powder for those two cartridges? Any chance the same powder would work for all three calibers?

Thanks to replies on this site I have settled on the 137 HH for the 30/06 rifles. Any suggestions on what powder to purchase for the 06. When my sons heard I was going to start reloading again, they would like me to reload for a7mm mag and a 280AI. Any ideas on a hammer bullet in the 140-150 range and a suitable powder for those two cartridges? Any chance the same powder would work for all three calibers?
Jet,
Go to Reloading on this Forum.
Hundreds of bits of load data on all the above.
Welcome from NE Alabama!

Hi Jet,

Like GL mentioned go to the Reloading section and down to the Hammer Hunter load data. There are two separate PDF files there, the one on the right is for 7mm and up. You will find a lot of very useful load data there.

As for powder for the 30-06 with 137's N540 and N550 are two of my favorites.

For the 7Mag and 280 Ackley I would recommend the Hammer Hunter 131 bullets for both.

To find one powder that works for all three might be a stretch. I would say Ramshot Hunter or Hodgdon Hybrid 100 might do the trick and being ball powders would allow you to get a little more in where needed, however it would be unlikely you would get peak performance out of all three cartridges with one powder. You may well be surprised at the results and it would be interesting to see if one powder could do the trick.

RL23 is pretty much my favorite powder for the 7mag but it is nearly unobtainium at this time. I have had good luck with H100 Hybrid as well as H4350 and IMR4350.

Ramshot Hunter has been my go to powder for the 280 Ackley although I have had good results with RL16 as well as N550

Take care and looking forward to your results and hope you enjoy your journey back into reloading.

Regards

Hi Jet,

Like GL mentioned go to the Reloading section and down to the Hammer Hunter load data. There are two separate PDF files there, the one on the right is for 7mm and up. You will find a lot of very useful load data there.

As for powder for the 30-06 with 137's N540 and N550 are two of my favorites.

For the 7Mag and 280 Ackley I would recommend the Hammer Hunter 131 bullets for both.

To find one powder that works for all three might be a stretch. I would say Ramshot Hunter or Hodgdon Hybrid 100 might do the trick and being ball powders would allow you to get a little more in where needed, however it would be unlikely you would get peak performance out of all three cartridges with one powder. You may well be surprised at the results and it would be interesting to see if one powder could do the trick.

RL23 is pretty much my favorite powder for the 7mag but it is nearly unobtainium at this time. I have had good luck with H100 Hybrid as well as H4350 and IMR4350.

Ramshot Hunter has been my go to powder for the 280 Ackley although I have had good results with RL16 as well as N550

Take care and looking forward to your results and hope you enjoy your journey back into reloading.

Regards
N165 is my RL23 substitute.

Back