HHT hole size

Just nitpicking but Ballistic Tip is a bullet line from Nosler. Not a universal term for polymer tipped bullets. mtmuley
Thanks, caught me slipping again.

@gltaylor
I'll PM the details, as some of it is sensitive to certain eyes. I shared the results of the second test with @Steve Davis . The gist is that I tested this in real life with clear gel. The results were on the previous forum, but I didn't explicitly state those findings as one of the purposes. You absolutely can time the expansion of a tipped bullets by designing the tip differently.

@HARPERC
Yeah, they also have a chamfer right at the mouth from what I saw. Not getting into too many details, but this can ease initial expansion like having a larger cavity without the cons of a larger hole. Again, can't say how I know this openly, but...

Last edited:
Tha
"Tip ejection" is actually just as it sounds: the tip has to eject from the bullet! Unlike the VMAX that has a hollow space for a harder tip stem to ram into softer lead core which splits the core inside out. A copper monolithic is different and, unless you're using a harder tip (brass, steel) and a shelved/stepped internal design like Peregrine does, cannot be "opened up" via the tip.

With a copper bullet like the hammer, TTSX/LRX, or badlands, the tip is bent out of the cavity upon impact due to the fact that no bullet will continuously encounter exactly perpendicular forces against its meplat at and after the point of impact. What you'll see with an aluminum tip is that the stem of the tip will be bent while the pointy end is generally intact.

As far as tips allowing for faster terminal transition,  theoretically  they shouldn't because they're blocking the way. Realistically, they can and should be intentionally designed via modification of the tip length, stem length and fit, to facilitate terminal effects at the depth necessary for performance against the game you intend for your bullet to be used. Also, the tip allows the most aerodynamic meplat to be used in front of a larger hollow point cavity, so faster terminal performance is easily achieved without hindering external ballistics.

TL;DR
Ballistic tips are one of the most important ballistic innovations in the modern era! Nearly as much care needs to be put into designing their dimensions as is placed in designing the bullet that they're plugged into.
Thanks for that well thought out explanation, I appreciate you sharing your expertise/knowledge!

With this tip/bullet design we are not seeing the tip break out to one side. This is why @Farleg was not able to get them to deflect on angled rib and heavy bone impacts. It appears they drive straight in allowing the fluid to take over without the normal tip bullet deflection.
So rather than bending the tip to the side some time after entry, it drives into the hollow point cavity, the beveled portion takes over and starts to open up the nose? Hmm, @Steve Davis that means you and Peregrine monolithics are the only ones that have monos that work like that.

Usually with others the tip is such a lightweight material that it simply cannot divert or deflect the bullet path as it gets yanked out. That's what I saw in gel: perfect, straightline penetrating with a tip that flew off to the side.

Last edited:
At $7.42 a piece. You're going to cut what up?🤣🤣🤣
Gday ok I’m going to derail
People Don’t worry about price of bullets anymore @$25 us a shot in h&h
Yep that hurts & time my exchange rate kicks in that’s around $40 a shot
Wow I’ll never complain again & I need a way to get my rifles / ammo into Zimbabwe or it’s a hard one to swallow

Cheers

Much of this stuff is speculation. Between the design of the tip and the design of the hollow point we were able to avoid the typical tip bullet deflection on angled impacts. This is what had @Farleg so wound up about not being able to kill this bullet. He also tested with and without the tip and found they perform better with the tip installed.
Gday above is so correct & still gets me wound up so thanks Steve
Only one other brand I’ve seen that was good
But the hht pipped that one & i failed to kill it on some insane angles/ resistances

I’ll come back ron got to run cheers

Back