Muzzle Brake

Ndravetsky

Any opinions on radial vs side port brakes? I have a Bergara carbon fiber barrel in 7mm prc with a factory radial brake. I’m curious if I’d notice any more recoil reduction or muzzle flip if I put on an area 419 hellfire match brake.

I use both styles. I never shoot prone, so radials are my personal favorite. No timing required (they vent 360 degrees rather than laterally). Radials are out if you shoot prone (unless you like to eat dust/grit blown up by muzzle blast). In my mind,at least, side ported have a bit more muzzle flip - unless you get one capable of drilling out top vents to reduce upward flip. Both work very well

I think muzzle rise is mitigated with the blast only shooting out the side and top of the break, so I don't use radials. I notice this with an AR15 with standard flash hider that only has slits on tope and sides.

Hunting purpose, reduced recoil is the goal, radial work just fine. As stated above prone is not ideal. Side/top/ported can have controlled muzzle flip. I’ve used both. Hunting guns I’m fine with either. Long range guns get side / ported brakes to watch vapor trails if conditions allow. Or Hammer Trails if Steve ever sells those do gadget bottles.

Here is a great article, somewhat dated at this point, but shows recoil recuction as it relates to sound signature;

Couple of newer brakes out there are tunable, with holes in the top you can plug or vent to control muzzle rise;

I use both styles. I never shoot prone, so radials are my personal favorite. No timing required (they vent 360 degrees rather than laterally). Radials are out if you shoot prone (unless you like to eat dust/grit blown up by muzzle blast). In my mind,at least, side ported have a bit more muzzle flip - unless you get one capable of drilling out top vents to reduce upward flip. Both work very well
Thanks. I’m probably overthinking it. I’ve never had a really nice rifle until now. I’ve got it shooting pretty good. I’m just trying to think of ways to tighten my groups. I’m assuming its probably me though. I always get two holes touching and one that’s not. 1 inch overall at 200 yds which I’m happy with though.

I’m a huge fan of side port brakes over radials. There is a great YouTube video that test a few of the top brakes…..take a look. I love my area 419 brakes. I’m gonna try one of the Apollo for my n tx rifle.

Good video. My Bergara has the factory Omni brake. I’ve been eyeing that area 419 4 port brake.

Back