Overspin

Gday MG
Welcome from down under

Looking forward to your journey

Overspin I doubt will be a issue , I’ve got to nearly 500k rpm & no issues
Slippage on the few tests I done on that & no issues

Muddy be a good thread to start on rpm heat terminal etc but my only advice is go get a few more bottles of wine 😜
Cheers
Cheers Cobba!
@Sprint1006 shoots a 338/175hh in his 8.6 3 twist with extremely good terminal performance. I can’t wait to see more results from this combo. Maybe he can elaborate on accuracy as well. He likely has on the past, I just don’t recall for sure.

Good luck and welcome to the forum
Kneedeep
Thank you!
IMO if you stay with 1 twist of the recommendation for the bullet, you will be fine.
Indeed!
@MisterGoose

Here is an old thread discussing twist and velocity

Very Interesting!

The Caliber is 25 SST by the way. Should have mentioned that! 😅🤣coming out of a 26" CF IBI barrel

MG

It’s been a year or so ago but Bryan Litz posted a slow motion bullet exiting a barrel. It was a copper mono in a 1 twist.

Kneedeep
On Facebook, he has it posted on Nov 2, 2022. Looks like a company "B" bullet with a sharpie line drawn down the side to show rotation in slow-mo.

@Sprint1006 shoots a 338/175hh in his 8.6 3 twist with extremely good terminal performance. I can’t wait to see more results from this combo. Maybe he can elaborate on accuracy as well. He likely has on the past, I just don’t recall for sure.

Good luck and welcome to the forum
Kneedeep
My accuracy with that particular combo was just over an inch at 100 yards. I am not the best shooter but I do think I have found a better combo for accuracy. Still working on it hope to report back in the next couple weeks and I’m about a month out from taking this combo on a cow elk hunt. Hope to get a 150-200 yard shot on a cow to see results of a little further away. I will report back once I shoot one no matter the distance.

My accuracy with that particular combo was just over an inch at 100 yards. I am not the best shooter but I do think I have found a better combo for accuracy. Still working on it hope to report back in the next couple weeks and I’m about a month out from taking this combo on a cow elk hunt. Hope to get a 150-200 yard shot on a cow to see results of a little further away. I will report back once I shoot one no matter the distance.
Gday sprint
Hope all goes to plan ( pics please ) also watching with interest

Curious What’s the other combo ?

Cheers

I could see overspinning causing higher pressures, separating jackets etc. A cnc bullet might not see the same effect. I don't know...perspectives change
I just feel all this fast twist stuff is going to have a downside once a bit of sensability comes over these longreachers.

Gday
Oh no The Sherman clan has arrived 🤣🤣
Cheers
OK Farleg...calm down...working up my newest Sherman. Report to follow soon. Stay tuned😀
It's gonna be another speedster. Hoping for 3700-3800 with the 125HHT. Like my 6.5 Max on steroids. 7.5 twist, 30" barrel.

To @Comerade , so far, we haven't found an upper limit on rpms with the Hammers. Stability factors of 6+ achieved so far, no ill effect noted.
(Edit: one glitch? Found by Butterbean with his .22 wildcat?)

Actually, some of this has been exaggerated?
Ours are normal whitetail for the southeastern US. An average buck is ~140lbs. Same as Texas and the Pacific blacktails?
We rarely get a 200 pounder+ like the midwest or far north, or huge western muleys?
As far as the rifle....just another toy....but a quick one😁!!!

OK Farleg...calm down...working up my newest Sherman. Report to follow soon. Stay tuned😀
It's gonna be another speedster. Hoping for 3700-3800 with the 125HHT. Like my 6.5 Max on steroids. 7.5 twist, 30" barrel.

To @Comerade , so far, we haven't found an upper limit on rpms with the Hammers. Stability factors of 6+ achieved so far, no ill effect noted.
(Edit: one glitch? Found by Butterbean with his .22 wildcat?)
The stability factor with my 8.6 blackout is over 30, like 580,000rpms. The 175 grain hammer hunter performed flawlessly on a moose and hope to test again on an elk in the next couple of weeks.

My understanding is the 1:3 is for bullet weights below certain weights and 1:4 for heavier. Don't recall the "line" though.

Do you know the velocity he was getting?

Back