Who here hunts with a revolver, semi-auto or specialty pistol?

Hey Ernie!

I'll bite, needed to make a first post on the new site as well. While I haven't hunted with a handgun yet, I've been looking at a Glock 31 357 Sig for close range deer hunting. It looks like Underwood makes Extreme Defender rounds with 68 gr solid copper bullets that scream at 2100 fps/636 ft-lbs out of a 4" barrel! Id love to hear from those who shoot or hunt with a 357 sig.

Gday Ernie
Not allowed to hunt with handguns in Tassie but I’ve taken a few critters over the years in different places my bushbuck in howick SA with a 9mm Luger was my finest moment or unlucky for the ram as I’m not that good of a shot but try

I am quite inquisitiveso looking forward to seeing more of what can be done
Thanks in advance
Cheers

I just needed to start a thread in the "pistol" section!
Descriptions and pictures would be great.
Let's see those handguns!
I have a G2 Contender frame and 10” and 14” 30 Herrett barrels. Just got some 124 HH to try out. Haven’t shot the Herrett in a while, currently have a 30-30 carbine barrel on it.

I've shot several deer with a 44 mag revolver and a 454 Casull. My eyes kind of got old with the rest of me, and I just can't ethically hunt with a pistol anymore. I really enjoyed it.

Hunted many years ago with Blackhawk .44 Mag, Redhawk .44 Mag, and TC Contender 35 Remington. I learned real quick pistol bullets don't expand worth a darn when shooting deer in crease and not hitting bone. The .35 Rem did ok but even back then, the bullets available were not great for expansion including the Hornady 180 SSP. My tracking skills got tested with couple crease hits where deer were killed but holy cow how far they went after hit was crazy. A .429 hole in and out! Factory 240 gr was major bullet used. Moved my impact over to shoulder and major improvement! Anchored much better. YMMV!

Bullets today are huge improvement over past and although no longer have the bigger bores, been thinking of .357 Mag for some closer shots. Kind of wished I still had the Contender to use the .358 140SH which I believe would be awesome! I worked up a load with it in Encore .357 Max rifle that hit 2700, yes not a typo! Need to work up accuracy. I think it would be great in Contender .35 Rem!

Hey Ernie,
All the above. Here’s a few of my shooters and a ‘Hammered’ hog from last season, that was courtesy of a .358 203gr Shock Hammer. 2C06EA81-A1D8-4FEE-9D28-7FCC7B68B833.jpegD955C932-E8E0-4EB7-9545-85B5DCFA0448.jpegA3A8DFEE-6D73-4BF3-BAC7-9A33B21BCA79.jpegBC7630D5-42B4-4AA7-82A0-E86548270BB5.jpeg 07527D2A-DFBE-465C-BE53-C2CF3A5DEACF.jpeg

Hunted many years ago with Blackhawk .44 Mag, Redhawk .44 Mag, and TC Contender 35 Remington. I learned real quick pistol bullets don't expand worth a darn when shooting deer in crease and not hitting bone. The .35 Rem did ok but even back then, the bullets available were not great for expansion including the Hornady 180 SSP. My tracking skills got tested with couple crease hits where deer were killed but holy cow how far they went after hit was crazy. A .429 hole in and out! Factory 240 gr was major bullet used. Moved my impact over to shoulder and major improvement! Anchored much better. YMMV!

Bullets today are huge improvement over past and although no longer have the bigger bores, been thinking of .357 Mag for some closer shots. Kind of wished I still had the Contender to use the .358 140SH which I believe would be awesome! I worked up a load with it in Encore .357 Max rifle that hit 2700, yes not a typo! Need to work up accuracy. I think it would be great in Contender .35 Rem!
I’ve tried the 140s in my .358 wildcat. They’re incredibly fast; 3600fps but don’t group well as far as I’ve been able to test them. Maybe if I slowed them down… but who wants to do that?

Back