162 Gr HHT 7mm PRC

Finally got my S*** together today.
The rifle: Bergara B-14 HMR carbon 24 in barrel.
New ADG brass trimmed to 2.375 in. Ran through FL die with .312 neck bushing. Used federal 215 primers. Set neck tension to 0.003in
Measured jam at 3.342in set COAL to 3.320 in.
Used N560
62.0 gr. 2868 fps
63.0 2926 fps
64.0 2984 fps
65.0 3024 fps
66.0 3100 fps
67.0 3143 fps
68.0 3201 fps Slight ejector mark

Ran 3 more at 68 gr. 3218, 3215, 3212
Un able to see ejector mark on these 3.

Zeroed at 100 yds and set target to 200 yds
Shot 1.5 in low. Re-zeroed. First 2 shot 5/8 in 3rd I think I pulled. 3 shot at 200 yd 1.5 in. .75 moa not bad. 55 degrees. 3-10 mph wind left to right. 3700 ft elevation.
Holy smokes! That's pretty zippy and accurate! I'd say your goals were met.

What primers? I managed to get a brick of Rem 9 1/2M, which have the mildest brisance of the mag primers, and I'm going to try them.

Holy smokes! That's pretty zippy and accurate! I'd say your goals were met.

What primers? I managed to get a brick of Rem 9 1/2M, which have the mildest brisance of the mag primers, and I'm going to try them.
I am totally thrilled. It’s a new rifle so I need some practice with it, but zero complaints. I was using federal 215. I’ve never used Remington primers on a mag rifle. Have had good luck with the small rifle ones. My buddy has had real good luck with the bench rest CCI primers. Not sure if chrono brands have a variance, but my numbers came from a barrel mounted magneto speed.

That new barrel should speed up a bit after a few dozen rounds. Then you can finesse the seating depths and tighten up the groups.

I'm down to 3 bullets. I tried a bunch of depths, but hit the 3060fps wall with all the powders I have. I do have some RL25 left, so I may try that tomorrow with the 3 I have left. Maybe I'll break down and get some N560, but I'm waiting for a hazmat-free sale. There's no stores within 50 miles of me who stock it.

Until I resupply, I'm switching over to the 6mm Rem.

@Bleeb ,
Chances are there will be very little, if any, fiddling with seating depth to improve grouping. With Hammers, finessing powder charge (or amount of crimp, if you do that) are the primary sources of "tuning" accuracy. Jm2cw

That new barrel should speed up a bit after a few dozen rounds. Then you can finesse the seating depths and tighten up the groups.

I'm down to 3 bullets. I tried a bunch of depths, but hit the 3060fps wall with all the powders I have. I do have some RL25 left, so I may try that tomorrow with the 3 I have left. Maybe I'll break down and get some N560, but I'm waiting for a hazmat-free sale. There's no stores within 50 miles of me who stock it.

I’ve got some once fired 6mm REM brass I’ll never use… I’ll give it to you if you’re interested.

I’m going to play with it more once I get a chance again. I put about 40-50 rounds of factory ammo through it before I started loading the hammers. I’ll probably buy another box of hammers soon just to have stock. I might adjust the powder charge slightly if I don’t get the desired groups. During the ladder test I’d get a couple holes touching and then it would print an inch different as I added a grain at a time. I’m impressed with the N560 so far. Went to buy more and can only find 8# jugs. Debating on buying that or not. I do have about 1.75 lbs still.

Let me know how the 6mm goes. My wife is getting into hunting and she has a new 243 win she’s been playing with. I told her if she’s interested we should start loading for her.

That’s the ladder test. The two odd balls to the left are from me being retarded. The center punch is when I zeroed at 100 yds

Attachments

• IMG_1136.jpeg
    IMG_1136.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
@Bleeb ,
Chances are there will be very little, if any, fiddling with seating depth to improve grouping. With Hammers, finessing powder charge (or amount of crimp, if you do that) are the primary sources of "tuning" accuracy. Jm2cw
I had some spreads and some nice groups today. The two deeper-seated groups I ran today were 1 moa and 2.5 moa. It seems my rifle likes 55-65 though off the lands, irrespective of the powder so far.

I’m going to play with it more once I get a chance again. I put about 40-50 rounds of factory ammo through it before I started loading the hammers. I’ll probably buy another box of hammers soon just to have stock. I might adjust the powder charge slightly if I don’t get the desired groups. During the ladder test I’d get a couple holes touching and then it would print an inch different as I added a grain at a time. I’m impressed with the N560 so far. Went to buy more and can only find 8# jugs. Debating on buying that or not. I do have about 1.75 lbs still.

Let me know how the 6mm goes. My wife is getting into hunting and she has a new 243 win she’s been playing with. I told her if she’s interested we should start loading for her.
Buy powder when it's available. Don't be like me! I have appropriate powders for all of my rifles, but the new 7 PRC requires something else, apparently. Powder is only going to get scarcer and more expensive. The price jump just this year was significant.

I have a few good 87-95gr loads for the 6mm using Staball 6.5 and H4350. My rifle is a custom Roberts Manufacturing-built CZ VZ24 mauser action with a Wilson bull barrel in a 1:8" twist. It stacks anything I run through it. I've only shot about 100 rounds through it since I got it new in 1990. I'm getting 3400 fps+ with 87gr Berger VLDs with Staball 6.5, 3250fps+ with H4350 with 95gr Partitions, and just got some Speer 100gr boattails to try. I ought to get some Hammers for it. ;)

I also have a Mauser-based Austrian Voere Laufstahl 3 in 243 Win, which my Dad gave to me decades ago. I haven't loaded for that in 20 years. That will not be going hot! It has a thin profile barrel and great shooter, and has put down a bunch of Whitetails. The .243 is a great, low-recoil rifle for small and medium game. It breeds confidence in new shooters, and your wife should love it.

Remington messed up with their factory 1:10" twist, limiting the 6mm Rem to varmits, and that is what made the .243 Win much more popular. The 6mm smokes it though.

I looked at my powder stock, and only have 1# of RL25. I have a bunch of H1000 though. I will try that instead. Hornady load data gets max velocity right along RL26 with their 160gr CX, so that may work out better for a long term solution. Tomorrow the last 4 Hammers will fly!

Buy powder when it's available. Don't be like me! I have appropriate powders for all of my rifles, but the new 7 PRC requires something else, apparently. Powder is only going to get scarcer and more expensive. The price jump just this year was significant.

I have a few good 87-95gr loads for the 6mm using Staball 6.5 and H4350. My rifle is a custom Roberts Manufacturing-built CZ VZ24 mauser action with a Wilson bull barrel in a 1:8" twist. It stacks anything I run through it. I've only shot about 100 rounds through it since I got it new in 1990. I'm getting 3400 fps+ with 87gr Berger VLDs with Staball 6.5, 3250fps+ with H4350 with 95gr Partitions, and just got some Speer 100gr boattails to try. I ought to get some Hammers for it. ;)

I also have a Mauser-based Austrian Voere Laufstahl 3 in 243 Win, which my Dad gave to me decades ago. I haven't loaded for that in 20 years. That will not be going hot! It has a thin profile barrel and great shooter, and has put down a bunch of Whitetails. The .243 is a great, low-recoil rifle for small and medium game. It breeds confidence in new shooters, and your wife should love it.

Remington messed up with their factory 1:10" twist, limiting the 6mm Rem to varmits, and that is what made the .243 Win much more popular. The 6mm smokes it though.
I’ve contemplated bergers or partitions. I’ve just always been confident in monos for game. She shot at a white tail last year at 200 yds with factory hornady sst. I celebrated too early. The deer slumped and stumbled to the ground. Got up and ran off. Only found hair, no blood. So either she gave it a hair cut or the bullet exploded. 🤷‍♂️

I looked at my powder stock, and only have 1# of RL25. I have a bunch of H1000 though. I will try that instead. Hornady load data gets max velocity right along RL26 with their 160gr CX, so that may work out better for a long term solution. Tomorrow the last 4 Hammers will fly!
Let me know on the H1000. My buddy has a lot of it and is thinking about trying it on the 162 or 170. He’s got a 7 PRC barrel on order.

What distance is this target? Looks loose, telling me the rifle doesn't like the powder/ primer combo or something is loose.
That target was at 100 yds. Maybe I used the wrong terminology. The string that curves to the right were shots in succession from 62 grains to 68. The two on the far left were from me forgetting how to adjust a scope 😂. The one in the center is when I zeroed at 100.
The picture below is at 200 yds. I had wind and I think I may have pulled the last shot. (The far left) I might play with powder charge slightly. Very happy so far. That was 1.5 inches at 200 yds. If I can get an inch group at 200 I’ll be stoked.

Attachments

• IMG_1135.jpeg
    IMG_1135.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
Well, if only I could make a fart noise. I ran 66 to 69gr H1000 and got to 3030fps and a nasty group. Wah wah. That doesn't mean it won't work well in a different gun.
Bummer, I had high hopes for H1000. I’m thinking once you get better brass it will make a big difference.

Played some more yesterday. Couldn’t get it under .75 moa at 68 grains 3200 fps. Tried seating bullet deeper but groups opened up. Tried different charge weights. Got it to .5 moa with 66 grains n560 @ 3100 fps. The lowest was shot 3. So maybe hot barrel or my shooting. Probably with some practice it will get better.

Attachments

• IMG_1456.jpeg
    IMG_1456.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
Back