2023 Big Game Success Thread

Gday Meatbuck
Congrats to your son & you

stocking that freezer back up is good to see šŸ˜‡

On the wound reminds me of a Berger reaction in the smaller critters & looked like a ok placed shot to me ( for you guys lol yes I get the meat saver shot just having fun ) & great stuff from your son under those conditions šŸ˜Ž

The shape of exit doesnā€™t concern me , itā€™s what the entry looks like that will tell more of the story here & what it did on its way through the critter thatā€™s the key

On the wounds what did it hit on the way in & by the great explanation of the deers reaction id say it was a little slow in opening & 1st lung lobe still functioning somewhat allowing him to carry on a bit

The other interesting thing to me is you said hit high lungs with this im puzzled a touch as from the pics it dosent look a high lung so my interpretation may be off somewhat so do you mean the upper half or top of lungs ?
also another couple parts are I donā€™t know your deers anatomy that well so the lungs may sit a little lower than Iā€™d assume than what they are situated & also secondly ( not a real worry ) on impact the lungs were fully deflated but itā€™s usually seen in a critter thatā€™s been breathing more heavily from getting wound up ( big breaths ) resulting in the look of more edge of lung hits but I donā€™t think the animals reaction backs this theory up

Did you take Pictures of the lungs & explanation on the above would be helpful to try & work a little more out

Congrats once again
Cheers
Pm sent, pics in ā€œterminal pic heavyā€ thread

My buddy filled a tag Saturday afternoon.
We have hunted pretty hard on weekends this season on account of his work schedule. Thatā€™s something I usually donā€™t do because of the other weekenders. This was his tenth time out this season. We have seen plenty of smaller bucks this season but we were waiting for something more mature to show up.

Friday we went to different areas to hunt which turned out to be kind of a bust because of the dove opener. Lots of unaccounted for activity at his plan a and b spots forced a late start for him.

Saturday morning we went together to a place that usually turns up an opportunity at a decent buck. The lion sighting I had in archery season was there so that was lingering in the minds. Especially when the day started slow. Nothing sighted as we worked the ā€œfront countryā€. Got to the first extended glassing location and set up.

Nothing again. Ok, up to the top we go. Packed up and headed for the top to sit and watch from there for the rest of the day. By now it was mid morning and we were glassing everything in sight. Finally my buddy picked up a doe in a spot we had glassed over from our first glassing location. Not long after I spotted a fawn on the hill we were watching and figured Iā€™d just missed the doe go into the brush before seeing the fawn do the same. Thinking maybe it was just later morning movement we held out and glassed some more.

Was probably 11a when I decided to get good and distracted by digging into my snacks. About halfway through a pb and honey I was mid-swallow when to my left about 200yds was a decent buck moving across the open, right to left. I about choked trying to get my buddys attention. He was ā€œchecking his dopeā€, face down in his lap with his cellphone out. I couldnā€™t get the word ā€œbuckā€ out. Three times I tried but he said it sounded like I was choking or mimicking a distant motorcycle exhaust we heard about that same time. (Nice of him to check to make sure I wasnā€™t chokingšŸ˜.)

Anyhow, finally I swallow and say ā€œhey, *expletive* there an *expletive* buck right hereā€ or something similar. Soon as he looks he sees a second one follow it through the same opening and behind a wall of oaks. Quickly he sets up his bipod and gets ready. Unfortunately the bucks kept traveling the same general direction, obscured by oaks until finally going around the hill and through a saddle toward private property. Never offered an unobstructed view after the initial sighting.

Now weā€™re fired up. Thinking about how we could have set up different and what we would do the next day to try to get em. He slipped over the hill after a bit to see if he could get a better idea of where they may have gone to but couldnā€™t see much so back to the glass we went.

Sometime after 1p he decided to go take a dump. Not long after he returned I looked up and saw what I thought was a bear on the hill at 400yds. We both got it in our binos and he said ā€œno I think itā€™s a buckā€. Just then I got a good look and told him to get ready to shoot it. That kinda ratcheted up the intensity level.

As he was getting set up I decided to do the same just in case he muffed the shot. He took the time to set up the digiscoping rig so we had that rolling. This buck looked good to me. Dark bodied and deep forks, he looked mature. So we sat side by side waiting for a shot opportunity. He had first shot no matter what. Just as the buck came into view for a shot, I lost him.šŸ˜‘ He took a couple more steps before I picked him back up but a big gust of wind came roaring up out of absolutely nowhere so he waited to shoot. Then as it died down again the buck was obscured by oaks. Then he bedded.

This gave us a chance to compose ourselves a bit and make some adjustments to our rear rests. The broken cloudy sky had the buck fooled as he bedded in a spot open to the sun when it reappeared. He didnā€™t care for that and was back up on his feet within 3min or so. This time he raked a small bush and then turned a 180 and headed back toward the opening. He stayed just obscured enough to make it back behind a manzanita bush, now almost fully obscured I thought he rebedded. But he was actually feeding head down toward us. Looked like he would come out below the bush left but then just as soon veered back right.

When he said, ā€œhe feeds into that opening Iā€™m gonna shootā€ I got behind the glass. Safety clicked off. The buck picked up his head walked right into the open, presented a broadside shot and paused Head down feeding. The shot broke and the buck dropped as the report of the hit came back. The buck had hardly hit the dirt when my buddy said, ā€œdropped himā€. Then a slightly excited eruption of expletives ensued.

We made certain the buck was dead before packing up our gear and heading over to take a look. Was a little ground shrinkage on width of his rack but the forks were about what I thought. Got a handful of pictures there and began the drag out. Waited to GUT til we hit the flat ground to help keep his insides free of debris. Took a couple hours to get him back to the truck but with two of us it was pretty easy work. 136lbs gutted.

The 110g hunter from his 270wsm had hit his spine above the lungs and blew on through the backstrap. Took a big chunk of spine and broke ribs on each side of the spine. Roughly dollar bill sized chunk missing after cleanup. The entry side strap was as damaged as the off side. Seems the bullet expanded very quickly but with an sg of almost 3 the remaining shank kept on truckin. Two petals came from off side during cleanup but no sign of exit from any on the hide. A good bit of clean up needed between ribs and shoulders but as is usual for the bloodshot with hammers it was mostly scraped and wiped off. Most meat was lost due to the bone fragments blowing out the backstraps.

Still about 2.5 weeks of season left for me to fill my first buck tag. But the second seasons opening week overlaps that last 8 days. Fingers crossed I can punch mine before then so I can focus on that opener.

IMG_5682.jpegIMG_5702.jpeg
View attachment IMG_3200.mov

Last edited:
I'm not sure if pigs count as "big game" but I just got back from a Texas pig hunt with my brother in law and my friend. Both are relatively inexperienced rifle hunters (they've shot birds/ducks before). This pig hunt allowed them to get in several seasons worth of deer hunting experience in a weekend. All told we shot 10 hogs. 4 with the 125 HHT out of my 6.5 PRC, and 4 with the 137 HH out of a 308. The other 2 were with factory 6.5 grendel ammo. I wish I had more terminal ballistics data to report, but all the pigs died, and all the bullets exited. Shots were from 20-90 yards. All 4 of my pigs I shot nearly head on (trying to catch a shank), and the 125 HHT traveled through at least 2 feet of pig and exited. One traveled 3.5 feet and exited (sternum to ham). The 308 and 6.5 grendel were all broadside shots, all bullets exited.

We shot some dove as well, and I had a great time watching/teaching new hunters.

PS - make sure to return your turret back to zero after shooting at 500 yards, or else you'll be a _smidge_ high the next morning for a 70 yard shot. Ask me how I know...

Sorry for the delay, but here's some pics of the swine....

As I mentioned, most were solid hits, and the pigs didn't go far. The one marginal shot was far back on an offhand quartering away shot at about 90 yards in tall grass. The 125 HHT entered the rear ham, and exited just in front of the far side ham. Pig dropped and rolled around before dying about 5 seconds later. He made quite the racket! As usual, the hammers performed great. I only went into the chest cavity of 2 of the pigs, but both lungs were jelly.

Attachments

• IMG_0753.JPG
    IMG_0753.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0764.JPG
    IMG_0764.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5828.JPG
    IMG_5828.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5838.JPG
    IMG_5838.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
After coming home empty handed from 4 days of hunting the opener of our second tag, I was left with only 5 days to fill my first tag. I took the first day off to sort stuff out at home and got back after it yesterday morning.
Went to a public land spot I havenā€™t been to yet this season. Itā€™s the last week and if any rut type activity is going to happen itā€™s now. So I went to check does. This spot always has some does and several weeks back we saw two small bucks chasing a doe and lip curling near there. So figured Iā€™d give it a shot.
Got there just a hair later than usual for walking where I do and bumped three deer off my glassing knob. Well at least I could start a tally for the day. Set up my glassing chair and went to work looking things over. I have a huge vantage to look over but started low and close because the wind was blowing pretty good. Figured theyā€™d want to be off the top and tucked away from it.
Spotted a doe and fawn not long into the morning and then a doe and fawn closer that were acting spooky. Thatā€™s when I noticed a small spike buck nosing the doe. A good sign but no other bucks there. So I kept picking apart country with my 15x56s. Eventually spotted a third deer in with the first doe and fawn. It too was a small spike and it was trailing the doe and gave a lip curl as well. ā€œJust a matter of time before I see something legalā€, I thought.
Right before 9a I finally spotted a dark coated deer up high on the hill. I noticed legal antlers and thought he looked good enough. He immediately went from feeding in the brush to walking up hill into the oat grass to start eating acorns under an oak. As he fed around I got my shooting mat rolled out and bipod leveled out. Pulled my squeeze bag, cellphone with dope chart as well as my rangefinder out and made everything handy. Even took the time to get video going after dialing elevation on my scope. It was windy, 10-12mph steady with gusts of 20mph plus according to the forecast and it seemed like every bit of that.
The buck ranged at 700yds. While I gave it all the effort of setting up everything I opted not to take that shot. Eventually he walked away when I wasnā€™t looking and I spent a good deal of time waiting for him to come back out of the last place Iā€™d seen him. Only to watch the video back and see him exit stage left. šŸ˜‘. Ok back to checking the deer Iā€™d already seen and looking for more.
Back in my glassing chair I scanned the area over for more deer. Iā€™d now seen 10 but hit a wall there for a bit. Close to 11a now I was looking over the doe and fawn I had seen first. Sure enough there was another deer there now. Dark thick bodied but head was obscured. As the doe moved right this deer went head up and I could clearly see that I needed to be back behind the rifle immediately.
Everything was set up to shoot high on the hill but needed to be shifted to shoot almost straight across and left. So I started taking down the bipod and getting rifle leveled on my pack. Squeeze bag was under the butt and I started looking for him in the scope. Some oat grass and star thistle was blowing around a few feet in front of my scope and causing shine. So I crawled out and snapped everything off best I could and snuck back behind the gun. Hit the ranger and got 488yds. I dial for 490.
Now where the heck did he go? He was just right there in the open. Back to the 15x56s I see his head only sticking out the right side of a small bush. Clearly get a look at his 4pt rack and now my nerves are starting to go. He stands there and stares at the doe awhile not allowing an unobstructed shot. Im back on the gun now and watching through the nx8 on 32 power as he spins a 180 and goes to raking the backside of the bush with his antlers. When he was satisfied he kicked a bed out and laid down completely obstructed from my vantage.
Iā€™m a ball of nerves now but the longer he laid there the calmer I got. I had to bust out the eye patch and get it on as well as pop in the ear protection. Once I did that I was starting to think all the things that could go wrong. Not good. I just thought ā€œhe didnā€™t get that big from being stupidā€. And ā€œanything can happen at any timeā€. So I stayed ready to shoot. I hardly realized it but Iā€™d been there about 30 min already.
Finally the doe came into view below him and he stood to get a look at where she was headed. I knew this was going to be it and fingered the safety off. Got steady and waited for him to step out right of the bush. When he did I touched the shot off anticipating he would step into the path of the bullet. Everything went black when the recoil hit and I used that opportunity to just throw the bolt before trying to recover. Dialed back out and saw nothing. With my ears plugged I heard nothing of a report back. Awwwww F! What just happen?
Back to the binos I see the fawn standing in the open feeding. No doe, no buck. Did I roll him? Did he run out of sight when I was reloading?
All the bad things are racing through my mind. Then my phone rings, itā€™s my cousin. (An old die hard blacktail hunter in his 70s and the man who taught me to butcher bucks.) So I answer. He starts in about wanting to thank me for cleaning his big buck mount a few days prior as he had just been out and noticed it. I said no problem and then ā€œwant to hear a funny story?ā€.
I tell him what had just happened not 5min before. As we are chatting about it I see a doe walking down towards the place the buck was when I shot. She was cautiously approaching, staring down at that spot. My cousin assured me the buck was there and that the deer would lead me to it. So Iā€™m itching to get off the phone as I start thinking I must have dropped him behind a dark thick green oak bush and just canā€™t see him.
Well sure as sh!t. The doe goes right above there and intently stares in. Now I see movement from the bush. Oh Fā€¦. Heā€™s not dead. The bush is now moving and a little dust starts kicking up.
The doe spooks from the commotion and walks uphill left toward the fawn. I move left in the hillside with my glass to see if I can get a look at him but I quickly get ā€œthat feelingā€ and head right back for the rifle. Now Iā€™m back on the rifle again. Got my spare 156hh round out of my bino harness and put it in the rifle thinking having two shots available was better than one if he got up.
Itā€™s now been probably 15 or so minutes since the shot and Iā€™m able to make out his back legs sticking out vertically left side of the bush. As Iā€™m watching and trying to figure out his position through my scope a black bodied buck walks in frame from the right. Walks to the bush and spooks back hard. He half circles up hill and postures ready to fight. Now Iā€™m certain Iā€™ve hit the buck and heā€™s down, crippled and thrashing to get to his feet. Dust flies and I see his front legs kicking. Now I have an estimate of his body position and location behind the oak bush. The second buck is a nice heavy horned forkie and looked ready to finish off my buck but decided that he would just bypass the downed buck and go for the doe. Off they went.
Now I was playing a waiting game. Will he expire soon? Should I try to send one where I think he is back there? Another 30 min passes and he still hasnā€™t died or moved from there. Iā€™m still afraid to leave my post and am texting one buddy to help calm my nerves and call another to see if he was in the area and could come up and walk in on the buck and finish him or bump him up so I could. But no matter what I didnā€™t want to leave the rifle and my steady shooting position until he was dead. No answer from him.
So Iā€™m now back to measuring up where I think he is in my scope. I see that an hour had nearly passed from first shot and decided itā€™s time to try sending a second shot. Picked up his front legs and moved right into the bush and got still. Off with the safety, one ear plug out to listen for a flesh pop. Squeezed it off and heard that sweet sound of a hit. His back legs moved a bit (I believe as he went limp)a few seconds after the shot. I stayed another 30min keeping a close eye for movement while messaging my buddy and letting the old lady know I had one down and wouldnā€™t be home when I said I would.
Ate some food and drank something finally. Had been behind the glass or gun since day break and was in dire need of something in my gut. Got that and got packed up. Now to cross the canyon and see what happened over there. Hopefully find a dead buck.
Dropped some weight from my bag at the bottom and headed up the other side. His location was obscured by the lay of the land for much of my approach. When I got to where I thought I was close I readied my rifle. Approaching with caution I knew I was on the trail that lead to him and was ready for anything. But he was dead. Laying on his side up against the bush. I unloaded and set my stuff aside in the shade so I could have a look at him.
The first shot landed high of shoulder. From his bed the trail actually went down slightly and I had no idea of that when I squeezed the shot off but I believe he stepped down just enough to land the shot high. The second shot through the bush landed high shoulder. One very large entry, no exit. Angle was such that the shank is probably lodged in the neck somewheres. Looks to have hit brush and tumbled in. No matter. It was fatal.
Thanked him and then started to admire his beautiful coat, double white throat patches and thick neck. Dislodged his antlers and snapped a few pics before dragging him out of his shady little hole. He sported a nice 4x4 rack without any eye guards. Looked to be 17ā€wide or so. Took more pictures before deciding that dragging him out was the best option from there. That was, as it turned out, a bad decision for my back. I got him out and into the back of the truck but man was it a struggle and did it ever do a number on my back.
Ended up stopping at my cousins place on the way back to finish the cleaning and skinning process and chatting with him about bucks and whatnot. Quite a bit of loss due to location of hits. My poor backstrapsšŸ˜’. Some random holes in hide I think from petals from the first shot. Didnā€™t do a very good inspection of things as I was bsing and getting a hand skinning from him. No pics after skinning either.
Heā€™s one of my better bucks for sure. Ended up seeing 12 deer total, 5 bucks, three legal.
That makes three punched tags with hammers for our group this season. Next week hopefully we can get back up to try to fill our second tags.
71702206679__B7A72BFC-E636-4B98-9131-C9FC45C158AF.jpegIMG_5762.jpegIMG_5780.jpegIMG_5777.jpeg

Last edited:
My son and I headed up north to hunt our second buck tags on Monday. Werenā€™t in much hurry to get there because it was raining and pulled in to camp just after dark. We boiled some water under the truck out of the rain and made a quick freeze dried meal to share in the cab. Then crawled in back to sleep for the night. Set alarm for 5:45a and listened to the rain on the roof as we dozed off.
When the alarm went off I hit snooze. Not long after I heard the rain again. Turned alarm off and went back to sleep. Woke a few times but the canyon was fogged in or it was raining or both. About 10a we decided to get up and get dressed. As we did a gunshot rang out up the road a ways. We knew people were out driving the forest road systems and picked up the pace getting ready. We then made our way to the glassing point after a couple quick scans of the area on the short walk there.
We hadnā€™t seen anything in about two hours of glassing. Then we heard a vehicle coming down the road and a dog let out a few barks as they came past camp and to the end of the road. They saw us and we waved. They turned around and headed back the way they came from. We joked that weā€™d kill one regardless of the noise and commotion that created and went back to glassing.
About 1:30p I looked up the hill above camp and saw a buck standing in a small gap in the burnt timber. I immediately got my gun and set it up on the bipod in his direction. My son got behind it and we scrambled to get him comfortable and to find the buck in the scope. That was mainly due to the fact that he had walked off behind more timber and we couldnā€™t pick him up again for 10 min or so. When I did my son still couldnā€™t see him. Again he walked off. We made some final adjustments to the rear rest and I was glassing to try to find him when my son said ā€œthere he is!ā€
I pulled off the glass to see him trotting down the ridge about 200 or so yards out. My son was on him very quickly with the gun and when the buck stopped I heard the safety click off. I told him to shoot whenever he wanted and plugged my ears.
I had lost the buck behind some burned oaks but knew his general location.
The shot went off and I saw the vapor trail go right into the last location of the deer with my bare eye. šŸ‘€ The buck lunged forward and rolled down through an oak bush before regaining his feet and scampering around the ridge out of sight. I was able to pull my binos up after the shot to watch the escape. He looked hit hard but not seeing him go down we sat still.
Gave it an hour while we ate some snacks and went over the shot together. He said the buck was quartered to and he put it right on the shoulder. Rangefinder said 220yds and I knew that hit would be high with the 300yd zero. Checked and 3.4ā€ high was the error. We made a plan to have him stay on the gun. Iā€™d go over to make sure he was dead with the other gun. Told him the thumbs up meant meet back at the road to chat about what stuff weā€™d need to get together to quarter or drag him out. The šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø would be no sign of him, come help look.
I dropped some stuff from my pack at camp and went out the trail towards the bucks last location. My son could easily see me moving in and gave me one thumbs up when I pointed downhill towards the bush he flopped through. I went down to it and looked for signs of a hit. Hair and scuff marks there then tracks going to the last spot we saw him. From there he made it back onto the trail and traveled 15 or 20 more yards sidehill on the trail before hooking a right at the end of a large downed burned up tree.
When I got towards that log I saw his legs sticking out of the oak brush below and the white of his belly. I tossed a rock down there without any movement from the buck and knew he was dead. Went back up to the ridge and gave a little thumbs up dance for my son to see.
I then realized (from lookin back at my son from the bucks location during the shot) just what a mess of burnt oak branches he threaded that bullet through. šŸ‘€
We met back at the road chatted and went back to camp again to drop some of his gear and get sunglasses as the clouds had broken and the sun was shining. Made the quick walk over and I showed him what Iā€™d seen over there. Pointed out the bucks legs and then dropped our rifles and packs before heading down to him. We both thought he was 3pt and I was surprised to see 4 on the one side I could see when we got there. I let him get the buck loose and flop him down to the next open spot for pictures.
Turned out a 4x4 with eyeguards. Looks to be a young deer maybe 3.5 or 4.5 years. While looking him over we noticed the hit was indeed high shoulder. But the exit surprised us both. It was in the off side hindquarter. The 156hh from the 270wsm had pushed a chunk of lung out of the diaphragm and into the guts. Guts werenā€™t too messy but his shoulder was a wreck.
After deciding to drag him out whole we got to work. Hillside was too steep and loose to go back up where he came down so we angled up to the right and did a zig zag pattern until we hit trail. Once there he lifted hind and I drug from antlers. One bush at a time we went. We would stop topside as it was a sure bet he wouldnā€™t roll back down whenever weā€™d let him go to rest. Took an hour or so to get him back to camp, taking our guns and packs ahead and leapfrogging them and the buck. Finally leaving our gear at camp and retrieving the buck last. I got stuff ready to hang him up to skin and dress while my son finished securing the tag and getting some brush snipped from the base of the tree we were hanging him in. I fired chainsaw and cleared a few branches away and strung up the gambrel. Gave the boy a quick rundown of how to prep the hind legs for hanging and then asked him to make supper. More freeze dried meals.
I was surprised to see a petal had made it all the way to the hide near the shanks exit of the off hindquarter. Got him skinned and the heart out of him and tried my best to clean up the bloodshot shoulder. My son washed out the heart and put it in the icebox. We washed up with soap and water before finally getting to dinner. Meals were still just barely warm when we got to them but went down quick and easy.
The two we had this trip were peak refuel stroganoff and chicken pasta Alfredo. Both very good. Anyhow, heā€™s tagged out for bucks this season. That makes 4 bucks for our group, all taken between 11a and 2p. Slept there one more night but I thought I had been getting a sore throat and sure enough woke up with one. Buck had cooled nicely overnight and we got up early to wrap him up in canvas and a tarp to keep for the 5hr ride home. Headed out of camp earlier to leave for home than we did the day he killed it. šŸ˜œ
IMG_0530.jpegIMG_5852.jpegIMG_5802.jpegIMG_5846.jpegIMG_5833.jpeg

Last edited:
@MeatBuck

Great stories, hunts, pics and shooting. Itā€™s great to see you, family and friends having a great year. Your rifle, caliber and bullet comboā€™s definitely fit your shooting and hunting situations. Great stuff!

Congratulations
Kneedeep

PS while proofreading Iā€™m wondering if I could have used more commas? Hmmmā€¦ I do think weā€™ve found a writer for @Farleg book. Donā€™t get confused folks, Iā€™m definitely referring to meatbuck!

Back