2023 Big Game Success Thread

@DiscoSteve, I'll "try" to be farleg's interpreter 🤪
I think with our conversation yesterday his question is in regards to oal. Can you spare any in magazine length? The info you gave us is good. But depending on rifle, magazine length varies.
Thanks riceman
& sorry disco for confusing

Cbjr showed it with the 168 of the grooves are different & hence we can run into magazine length issues for the ones of us who like to crimp so ticking before I chat to Brian again lol

Yes I can always crimp on top of the band or shoulder as I’ve had to with some pills but crimping in the groove is just more consistent & way easier

So for the new to reloading or lazy like me no need for worry about that neck tension fun & games
You can get away from annealing as often so less equipment needed to start

Cheers

@DiscoSteve, I'll "try" to be farleg's interpreter 🤪
I think with our conversation yesterday his question is in regards to oal. Can you spare any in magazine length? The info you gave us is good. But depending on rifle, magazine length varies.
Ah, got it! Here's a picture of a 137 HH 308 win in the magazine. There's about .2" of clearance. I can measure better tomorrow when I get back to where my reloading stuff is. It's a standard magpul magazine. The Christensen Arms magazines look almost exactly the same length.

Oh, and I put a 125 HHT into a pretty nice mulie this morning. Pics and necropsy results to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_9547.jpg
    IMG_9547.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
I harvested a pretty nice 3x4 mule deer this morning, probably about 220 lbs. 125 HHT out of my 6.5 PRC. MV of 3150, he was facing me at 100 yds, so impact velocity was ~3000. He had pushed a doe over a small hill, and he was ever so slightly quartering. He was almost dead facing me, but I could just see a little of his left side. The bullet entered at the base of his neck on the left side, and he immediately dropped. Upon field dressing him, I couldn't find an exit. The bullet traveled though his neck, and entered his rib cage leaving about a 3 finger hole after about 16" of penetration. After quartering him, I couldn't find the shank, so I took him out in the woods to gut him. Rather than gut him the "normal" way, I decided to cut through the top of the ribs with a branch cutter and fold the ribs out of the way to look in his chest. It worked pretty good. The top of his left lung was struck, and the bullet severed about a 5" piece of his aorta. It crossed just underneath his spine and entered the right side of his chest. So I flipped him over and removed the ribcage on the other side. The right lung wasn't injured, and the bullet passed through the diaphragm into the liver. There was a 2" hole in his liver and then the bullet track disappeared into his paunch. I spent about an hour looking for it, but no success.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
My brother shot a nice wt buck this morning at 100 yards. 151AH, 308 Win, 3050mv, 2750 impact. I was still in the stand, so no autopsy photos, but impact (caliber size hole) was just behind front shoulder and exit (2” hole) was mid body… deer was quartered to him a bit. He went less than ten yards and fell, kicked a little and died. Thanks HAMMER!

Attachments

• IMG_1251.jpeg
    IMG_1251.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1253.jpeg
    IMG_1253.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 17
My brother shot a nice wt buck this morning at 100 yards. 151AH, 308 Win, 3050mv, 2750 impact. I was still in the stand, so no autopsy photos, but impact (caliber size hole) was just behind front shoulder and exit (2” hole) was mid body… deer was quartered to him a bit. He went less than ten yards and fell, kicked a little and died. Thanks HAMMER!
Nice whitetail! 3050 fps is smokin out of a 308 with the 151 AH!

Ah, got it! Here's a picture of a 137 HH 308 win in the magazine. There's about .2" of clearance. I can measure better tomorrow when I get back to where my reloading stuff is. It's a standard magpul magazine. The Christensen Arms magazines look almost exactly the same length.

Oh, and I put a 125 HHT into a pretty nice mulie this morning. Pics and necropsy results to follow.
Disco your learning 😇
pictures are always best for me 😎😍
Perfect
Cheers

Gday disco
Only thing left for you is a metal detector as that’s some great work
I loved the 16 in penertration comment 👍

That Aorta is showing what these pressures can achieve when we get the correct bubble but depending on what part of the beat your in you may see it again for a few critters now add 400/500 fps to that pressure mmmm watch that level go up a notch & if it comes off you may get that in your prc if the stars align of course & just like the 135 ish hht 30 cal will turn a few heads also but another day on that also as my head is spinning on the pills we need
Yes the top off the tree pills & back to the 125 I go but I’m excited

This is where we are seeing another example the 125 shine over the 118 & if anyone can run the 125 instead of the 118 it’s the way to go if only 118 can be run don’t worry I’d say your pill is coming 🤞but it still kills ok just not with the authority of the 125

@kneedeep another bangflop 😜
Only one job remember 😜

People Look @ the wounding of those lungs as similar colour/damage over a very wide velocity window across various resistances /angles it is a extremely reliable pill
Yep I like this pill once again lol

Thanks again disco I be honoured to do a autopsy with you one day

Cheers

Gday Ltt
Congrats to your brother & group on the whole 👍

You will get to the autopsy stage when you can but the biggest thing is enjoying the moment with your brother

Thanks for sharing
Cheers

Disco-
Great job and photos!
I had to chuckle. A couple of years ago Farleg and Riceman gave me the dickens because I didn't have a metal detector. I lost a shank in the paunch after a head on shot.
Dumped the guts, let the coyotes scavenge. Then went back and stirred up what was left with a stick a day later. Still no luck....and I was determined to find a shank 😢.
They harassed me so much I got a small battety powered hand held job - that has proven indispensable for finding both shanks and petals. They're not expensive and available on Amazon
It's about the size of a small flashlight.

Disco-
Great job and photos!
I had to chuckle. A couple of years ago Farleg and Riceman gave me the dickens because I didn't have a metal detector. I lost a shank in the paunch after a head on shot.
Dumped the guts, let the coyotes scavenge. Then went back and stirred up what was left with a stick a day later. Still no luck....and I was determined to find a shank 😢.
They harassed me so much I got a small battety powered hand held job - that has proven indispensable for finding both shanks and petals. They're not expensive and available on Amazon
They work good, you don't need to spend alot.
They work good if your a bird hunter also.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231125_173700_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231125_173700_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 12
Disco-
Great job and photos!
Oh I have one of those mini metal detectors - I just happened to leave it at home! I actually put the guts in a contractor trash bag to take back home tomorrow. Yes, my wife thinks I am insane! And she's probably right!

Unless there was an exit and it was the perfect reverse texas heart shot. That would be pretty unlikely, but the bullet was heading that direction!

Back