2023 Big Game Success Thread

Gday rausch
Thanks for the write up ( it’s definitely worthy like the other 2 you mentioned 👍😎 ) & letting us into your world
I’ll second GL & only add on ones bucket list try & do the hardest hunts while you still can

Once again thanks for the write up & pictures are beautiful along with the truth on what happens sometimes with shots not connecting , top notch sir 👍
Oh any vital pics 🤞

Cheers

Thanks Farleg. Unfortunately no vital pics. I was in a hurry to keep my “vitals” intact! I know where 2 shots hit and that there maybe a bullet in on shoulder. I’ll skin the quarters tomorrow and see what there is to see. The majority of the time I use the gutless method to quarter them so I don’t even see the insides. I also didn’t think getting more blood on me in griz country was a good idea!

I forgot to add into the story that the boss ran into said grizzly bear at 50 yards the next morning in the timber. He’s a young maybe 3 year old boar. Super blond like a bull elk and his face and neck were covered in fresh blood. Fortunately it wasn’t from my elk and we got him packed out just fine!

Thanks for the honest and engaging write up and great pictures mate! And congratulations on your great bull!!

What bullet were you using in your 33?
Any other details on “dikembe”?

Cheers
Thanks!

I shoot the 235 HH. Dikembe is custom built on a rem 700 action. Proof carbon fiber barrel. Trigger tech trigger. The stock is custom tiger maple with an ambidextrous thumb hole that I designed as I like right handed bolt but shoot it left handed because well why not!?!? It wears a vortex strike eagle 5-25x50 and a homemade suppressor that adds another 11” to the length. I’ll post a pic. IMG_0070.png
That is the old suppressor in this pic which is 2” shorter than the one it has now.

Thanks Farleg. Unfortunately no vital pics. I was in a hurry to keep my “vitals” intact! I know where 2 shots hit and that there maybe a bullet in on shoulder. I’ll skin the quarters tomorrow and see what there is to see. The majority of the time I use the gutless method to quarter them so I don’t even see the insides. I also didn’t think getting more blood on me in griz country was a good idea!

I forgot to add into the story that the boss ran into said grizzly bear at 50 yards the next morning in the timber. He’s a young maybe 3 year old boar. Super blond like a bull elk and his face and neck were covered in fresh blood. Fortunately it wasn’t from my elk and we got him packed out just fine!
Thanks rausch
Completely understandable & all cool

Nice add to the story

Side note
I’m guessing if a grizz or any predator gets to your kill you’ve just lost your freezer meat as your tag is it for you guys 🤷‍♂️
Cheers

I believe the FWP would issue you a new tag if you had proof. The caveat would be if you had the antlers you’d have to turn them in to get your tag back. A few years ago I killed a bull with sarcosystosis. The biologist deemed it unfit for human consumption and offered me a new tag if I turned in the antlers as well. There was only a couple days of season left and I was finished hunting anyway so I kept the antlers and incinerated the meat at their direction.

Rausch what load with the 235 HH?
I’ll find it tomorrow and post it. I know that my old load is posted in the spreadsheet using N560. Now I shoot n565 and have to use a drop tube but I get more speed and less pressure. I also switched to Peterson brass.

Edit.
235 HH
85.5 gr N565
Fed 215 GM
Coal 3.485
3003 fps
2/8 t crimp
Petersen brass

Last edited:
@Rausch,
I assume your barrel length is 26", do you know the twist?
Thanks for the data, and congratulations on a great hunt!
GL

Edit:
Never mind. I found your 33 Nosler post. I assume this is the same rifle? 26" Proof, 1-9" twist?

Last edited:
Gday rausch
Thanks for the write up ( it’s definitely worthy like the other 2 you mentioned 👍😎 ) & letting us into your world
I’ll second GL & only add on ones bucket list try & do the hardest hunts while you still can

Once again thanks for the write up & pictures are beautiful along with the truth on what happens sometimes with shots not connecting , top notch sir 👍
Oh any vital pics 🤞

Cheers
Rausch - Thanks for sharing so much of your hunt. It was awesome! One thing Farleg might not realize is that to a grizzly bear a rifle shot is the dinner bell. On my Montana hunt 14 years ago, I shot an elk and 20 minutes later I saw a grizzly down wind standing on his hind legs winding me. Not a pleasant feeling!

Last edited:
Rausch - Thanks for sharing so much of your hunt. It was awesome! One thing Farleg might not realize is that to a grizzly bear a rifle shot is the dinner bell. On my Montana hunt 14 years ago, I shot an elk and 20 minutes later I saw a grizzly down wind standing on his hind legs winding me. Not a pleasant feeling!
Given the legal ramifications nothing good comes from such encounters.

Grizzlies are intelligent opportunists. Routinely taking kills from cougars, and other bears. One sub adult boar in Yellowstone was known to have killed 6 elk before being able to feed. The others being taken by bigger bears.

In at least one study with collars a grizzly followed hunters from their vehicle unobserved except for technology.

We need seasons to re establish top of the food chain. No longer (if ever) are they an endangered species.

Five does taken at my deer camp on this opening weekend of rifle season. Three of them with Hammers. Mine was 75 lbs. at 65 yards. 131 gn HHH @ +/-3000 fps. She jumped, went about ten yards, arched her back, then fell over. Impact was a little low, but organs were demolished and exit wound was large. First 2 pics entry, second 2 exit.

Attachments

• IMG_1146.jpeg
    IMG_1146.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1147.jpeg
    IMG_1147.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1145.jpeg
    IMG_1145.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1148.jpeg
    IMG_1148.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 15
Thanks Les & Carl a very interesting critter

I passed up a polar bear once ( not in real life ) took a tag out for black bear in bc but they weren’t about as sleep time came early the Indian guides I was with said & today I’ve got no hope of ever getting back to see those critters on the ground
But forever intrigued with those critters
Cheers

Other two hammer kills were my brother’s. 151 AH @ +/- 2750 impact velocity. Here’s THAT story! He had a 100 lb doe in his sites, probably zoomed in too far, so he didn’t really see the 70 lb doe walk up behind her. He shot. Both does disappeared during recoil. A few seconds later one of them staggers out of the trees with a front leg broken down low. He shoots her again just as she stumbles away from him. He and a buddy followed her blood trail back into the woods and back out to the initial point of impact. Can’t figure out how he missed the one he was aiming at and broke the leg of the one behind her. I went back with him and we did a little more investigating. Turns out he made a perfect shot on the bigger doe, and bullet broke the smaller doe’s leg after exit. First two pics are of smaller doe dropped with high, going away shot. Next pic is exit of bigger doe, then entry, exit, heart, and entry inside, exit inside. Sorry, pics came in in a different order.

Attachments

• IMG_1144.jpeg
    IMG_1144.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1143.jpeg
    IMG_1143.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1142.jpeg
    IMG_1142.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1141.jpeg
    IMG_1141.jpeg