2023 Big Game Success Thread

Pictures useful regardless of brand! The Accubonds have worked for us my partner just shot an Idaho moose. He has a lifetime supply of the Accubonds, and won't look at Hammers until those are gone LOL!

View attachment 3650
.338 Edge 250 Accubond. Less than 200 yards bedded. Looked like it might not get up with first. Shot twice more just because. I recovered bullet, 2 exits.
Nice moose!!

Prior to finding HAMMERS, we shot a lot of accubonds (not the long range, but standard accubonds) and absolutely love them. I don't like being out of bullets when the economy takes a down turn so I bought accubonds by the thousands. My son will burn two barrels before burning through all his accubonds. 🤣 🤣

One thing I've learned about precious metals....they never go down in value.

Gday
jrebel you’ll get a good return on investment with those accubond 😜

The accubond is a good bullet & see why he’s still using them just like carls mate

Overtime this may change 🤷‍♂
Till then stay safe & shoot straight
Cheers

@Sprint1006

Congratulations to you, the family and friends hunts. I missed this and am very interested in your mom’s moose kill with the 8.6BK.

Is the rifle a 3 twist?
Did you take any photos of internal damage?

From your report of the quick kill, this combo obviously performed extremely well. I’m most curious what the wound channel looks like.

@Farleg

Thanks for the report
Kneedeep
Kneedeep it is a 1 in 3 twist. The 175 grain hammer hunters were going about 2400fps and I thought I attached a picture of the lungs. Here they are again.

Attachments

• IMG_1470.jpeg
    IMG_1470.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1469.jpeg
    IMG_1469.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
Ok, not a Hammer or any other projo. Back and rt knee killing me. First snow, coming down hard last night. Traded in older Bowtech Stryker 380 for Wicked Ridge Fury 410 that is crank to cock plus can decock. Me? I prefer decocking by killing deer! First 5 deer were bucks, had 2 sparring behind me, then 2 more sparring in front. All inside 40yds. Some at 20. Sitting on ground tucked in by tree and small deadfall. Covered with snow so natural snow camo! Had to keep wiping snow of crossbow! Finally a doe runs in stops behind my tree 5 yds away, can hear her breathing hard so close! Walks across in front at 7 yds no shot. Walks straight away no shot. Turns broadsides at 18. Nighty night she went maybe 50 tipped over. Perfect eating size! The XX75 2219 zipped thru at 375fps, arrow bouncing off trees so good bye to that one. Friend pulls up with Gator, backs up to deer, puts deer into Gator, drives me to truck, backs up to tailgate slides it across and says seeya laughing! He knows I am in deep back pain plus rt knee is giving me fits. Seeing ortho doc next. So one of the best hunts in long time sitting in snowstorm having deer running all around me at bow range. Back killing me, just got epidural shot this morn which helped immensely. Now onto ortho doc. Sitting there in pain but the beauty and excitement of the rut full bore was worth every second of it. Wife not too happy I did it but I rather be in woods with pain versus recliner.

IMG_1983.jpeg
IMG_1986.jpeg

Ok, not a Hammer or any other projo. Back and rt knee killing me. First snow, coming down hard last night. Traded in older Bowtech Stryker 380 for Wicked Ridge Fury 410 that is crank to cock plus can decock. Me? I prefer decocking by killing deer! First 5 deer were bucks, had 2 sparring behind me, then 2 more sparring in front. All inside 40yds. Some at 20. Sitting on ground tucked in by tree and small deadfall. Covered with snow so natural snow camo! Had to keep wiping snow of crossbow! Finally a doe runs in stops behind my tree 5 yds away, can hear her breathing hard so close! Walks across in front at 7 yds no shot. Walks straight away no shot. Turns broadsides at 18. Nighty night she went maybe 50 tipped over. Perfect eating size! The XX75 2219 zipped thru at 375fps, arrow bouncing off trees so good bye to that one. Friend pulls up with Gator, backs up to deer, puts deer into Gator, drives me to truck, backs up to tailgate slides it across and says seeya laughing! He knows I am in deep back pain plus rt knee is giving me fits. Seeing ortho doc next. So one of the best hunts in long time sitting in snowstorm having deer running all around me at bow range. Back killing me, just got epidural shot this morn which helped immensely. Now onto ortho doc. Sitting there in pain but the beauty and excitement of the rut full bore was worth every second of it. Wife not too happy I did it but I rather be in woods with pain versus recliner.

View attachment 3749
View attachment 3752
Quite a geriatric experience you’ve shared here.

Was this a cut paste snippet from what you filled out on your doctors intake form?😆🤪

Just yankin your chain. Good to see the older crowd getting into some meat. 👍🏻🇺🇸

I told doc this morn I was in woods yesterday afternoon, only comment was "deer hunters" laughing! And "I bet that felt wonderful!". He also said he appreciates patients that will keep pushing thru "the wall". When I told him I killed doe, just said "of course you did!". Solid normal guy.

God bless you Muddy. A REAL trooper😃!
George, pain in recliner or pain sitting in woods in snowstorm watching the rut in full swing! The snow was so beautiful with deer walking, sparring and running full bore. Its one of those ever lasting memories I am glad I experienced. Ain't gonna lie, it was very "uncomfortable" but also so pleasurable! What a dichotomy! As doc said "it's only pain". You can live your life as best you can or fold up the card game. Not ready to do that.

Ok waiting for @joe16 to spew on dichotomy.....

Using @MeatBuck and @RichCoyle as inspiration for their collective story telling prowess, I hope this turns out half as good as their stories!

My buddy Mark and I left early Monday morning on our 3.5 hour drive to “work elk camp”. I call it that because our boss and another co-worker put in this camp every year to rotate through employees and various other friends for elk season. Anyone who wants to go is welcome. Needless to say the bullspit runs deep in those wall tents!

While on pace to be an hour earlier than planned, I had numerous calls and texts saying that we were missing “A” day already and needed to hurry up! Soon enough we’re at the trailhead packing the wheeler for the long ride in. We hit camp after a 3 hour ride, unpacked in a hurry and got ready for the evening hunt. As I’m getting out my .33 Nos and screwing the suppressor on, the first round bullspit flys! “Oh I see you brought Dikembe again?” The boss says, which I immediately knew he had found himself a new nickname for my obnoxiously long rifle. If you didn’t watch the NBA 20 some years ago, Dikembe was a tall skinny basketball player. He then proceeded to go on a 5 minute rant about how I’m cheating and I need to bring a “timber gun” if I want to consistently kill elk in his camp. He concludes with “get it outta here” and an air swat as if he’s blocking a shot! Finally it’s time to head out.

On the ride in we had glassed a hillside with hundreds of elk tracks across it on the north end of the mountain we hunt. Naturally everyone wanted to head there so since I killed a nice bull last year I went south to the “rock” which happens to be where I shot from last year. I was there for 45 minutes and hadn’t seen an elk yet when 3 guys came hiking over the ridge and proceeded to sit right in the middle of the hillside I’m hoping the elk feed out on. Initially I was discouraged and almost left but decided to stay thinking they would at least alert me if any elk were to skirt out below me on my side of the drainage. Not 30 minutes later I spot 2 bulls feeding out right below them on their side. They have no clue yet that they are so close to the elk. I watched them for another 10 minutes before I decided that the bigger of the 2 6’s was worthy of my tag on night 1. A quick range told me he was 565 yards at 26 degrees downhill. The bull is quartered uphill and away from me. I click the safety off and send one down range. No reaction what so ever. I can’t believe I missed! My second shot connects and he wheels into a small patch of sparse timber maybe 10 yards away. I can see him in there but don’t have a clear shot. A few seconds later he wobbles and lays down. Just then a flash of something catches my eye. Immediately I knew it was a bear. The shots scared him out of the bottom and he’s running straight for the timber my bull is in. He cruised right through it within a few feet of the bull and kept running. Perfect he must dead! Now I turn my attention back to said hunters who are now walking across the hillside trying to figure out what I was shooting at. They circle around to 40 yards or so from my bull and straight up wind. Just then he comes boiling out of the timber clearly NOT dead and running side hill back towards me. He only makes it fifty yards before he stops again and I can see that I hit a little high and only got one lung on the way down through. With the other hunters in there spooking him I took 2 I’ll advised shots at hit though the fir branches trying to put him down. Neither connected. He took one step out and exposed himself at 525 and he was down for good. All of this happened in less than 5 minutes and the second bull ran right passed where the hunters had been and they didn’t see him either. While leaving they found the bear tracks and judging by the frantic arm gestures and speedy departure I’m guessing they thought it to be a griz.

So now I begin the 700’ descent into the bottom where my bull stopped sliding with 30 minutes of light left and no one to help. I made quick work of the hike and found him piled up in the very bottom. Now the work begins. In fading light I managed to quarter him up, remover the back straps and tenderloins, and separate the head from the spine in a lighting fast 24 minutes!

At this point I look at my phone and realize that the text I sent saying I went to quarter him up and where I was never went through and the other guys have no idea where I’m at. I made fairly quick work of the climb back to the sniper perch and was able to send another text saying I’d be out after a short break and some water. I no sooner put the phone away and looked down and realized I was standing on bona fide grizzly bear tracks that were on top of my tracks that are an hour old! Needless to say the water could wait and I was back on the move and yelling “hey bear” and “go on get” in rapid succession!

I met up with the guys at wheelers. They had a beer and some congratulations for me. I told them of the shot, the other hunters, the bear, and the griz tracks close by. The boss and “Georgia” told me I was wrong and they hadn’t seen a G bear during rifle season in there in the 20 years they’d hunted it. There was more ribbing about “Dikembe” and how I’m no longer allowed to hunt “Dikembe’s rock”! Georgia even went so far as to challenge me to kill a bull next year with his iron sight 45-70 in the timber next year. Challenge accepted!

Over the next 3 days we saw bulls nearly every morning and evening hunt. One more bull, a 5x6 was added to the wood pile. Many rag bulls were passed and a few beers were drank! Another trip to work elk camp is in the books!

IMG_0040.jpeg
A Bald Eagle buzzed the tower when I first arrived!
IMG_0045.jpeg
Black bear
IMG_0046.jpeg
The hillside. The bull was in the bottom left corner trees and the hunters are just out of frame on the right.
IMG_0047.jpeg
The bulls last slide.
IMG_1721.jpeg

I’ll add some more pics when I get them from the other guys.

Gday rausch
Thanks for the write up ( it’s definitely worthy like the other 2 you mentioned 👍😎 ) & letting us into your world
I’ll second GL & only add on ones bucket list try & do the hardest hunts while you still can

Once again thanks for the write up & pictures are beautiful along with the truth on what happens sometimes with shots not connecting , top notch sir 👍
Oh any vital pics 🤞

Cheers

Back