The Backfire Milk Jug Challenge. Quite the LRH Backfire!

Two years ago my son had a Colorado deer tag. On the last morning of the hunt we saw a giant buck two miles away. I stayed to keep an eye on it while he made a mad dash to where the buck was. In the mean time I heard 4 shots from another hunter in the canyon next to it. When my son got over to where we last saw the buck, it walked out at 100 yds and he killed it. A short while later a kid came over the hill and claimed he had hit the buck at 1000 yds from the next canyon. We looked the buck over but couldn't see any wounds other than my son's shot. We took the kid's number and told him when we skinned the buck we would look for any hits, but we did not find any. Later the kid kept calling my son wanting a replica of the horns, insisting he hit the buck because he can hit a 1000 gong regularly.

Unfortunately, this challenge will not stop hunters from doing stupid things.

By the way, my son Hammered that beast with a 177g HH out of my 28 Nosler.
No question what killed it!

Attachments

• IMG_2818.jpg
    IMG_2818.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I just watched the first one today. Looks like a pretty cool challenge. It’s nice to see folks actually demonstrating how difficult it truly is.
Was it the one with the 3 guys in different positions with unknown distances? That was really revealing and I thought excessively hard. But he basically said as much, he was going to max difficulty to make a point. Lots of insight into different people's way of field shooting. Jim having feelings about shooting fundamentals and the guys taking it very literally to play the hand they're dealt. I also kept thinking "if that had a MV of 3200 with a machined bullet, I bet that would have been a hit."

I'm watching the series more in the context of being a Utah resident than a LR hunting community member (internet-wide, not the forum necessarily). But the overlap in IQ between Utah and certain types of know-it-all hunters is... well, there's overlap so let's leave it there. "I have a custom jelly-donut barrel with the wingwang chassis and the thunderbritches trigger so I'm all set inside 900 if I can see it." Well, I have a frankenSavage that will shoot the squeak off a squirrel and leave him unharmed and I know you're a liar who has never even attempted that from a bench.

There's obviously people who can do it ethically, but those are the guys with humility who put work and choices in to take shots they can make, or you guys who are actually putting holes in fur multiple times a year. And as a community response litmus test, there's some good observations being made here. If you're so sensitive that one guy being honest about human capability put you in a tailspin, well, mood stabilizers are just a copay away.

Two years ago my son had a Colorado deer tag. On the last morning of the hunt we saw a giant buck two miles away. I stayed to keep an eye on it while he made a mad dash to where the buck was. In the mean time I heard 4 shots from another hunter in the canyon next to it. When my son got over to where we last saw the buck, it walked out at 100 yds and he killed it. A short while later a kid came over the hill and claimed he had hit the buck at 1000 yds from the next canyon. We looked the buck over but couldn't see any wounds other than my son's shot. We took the kid's number and told him when we skinned the buck we would look for any hits, but we did not find any. Later the kid kept calling my son wanting a replica of the horns, insisting he hit the buck because he can hit a 1000 gong regularly.

Unfortunately, this challenge will not stop hunters from doing stupid things.

By the way, my son Hammered that beast with a 177g HH out of my 28 Nosler.
No question what killed it!

It's obvious, one shot from a 7mm and your son certainly owns that buck.
7mm, 100m and all in his field of view, the 7mm has it.

And, for the other tosser I can't believe the audacity to even try. Who wants replica Antlers from another hunters trophy? Did he really think he dropped it from 1000 in field conditions.

Nice shooting with the 7mm round. I like seven mill's.

I talked with Erin with Giving Back TV and we are planning to make this happen in June and make an episode. I think it would be fun to do teams. Shooter and caller. That is how Brian and I have always hunted long range. IMO it is how it should be done. Shooter only shoots and the caller has to make all the calls for range and wind. I still have no preconceived notion that I can hit everything. I would like to get a few guys together for this running a variety of equipment. I think filming this and getting it out is an eye opener for a lot of hunters.

Any of you want to join us? @mtmuley

And, for the other tosser I can't believe the audacity to even try. Who wants replica Antlers from another hunters trophy? Did he really think he dropped it from 1000 in field conditions.

Nice shooting with the 7mm round. I like seven mill's.
Yeah, that is pretty weird! Great buck by the way.

Yeah, that is pretty weird! Great buck by the way.

For sure the kid thought he hit the buck, even at that range. I think that's the real hazard of shooting steel. While it is fun, it isn't range conditions, unless you practice it that way. He was so sure he owned a part of that buck, he texted my son during Thanksgiving dinner. After that we just blocked and deleted his phone number. It kinda soured an otherwise great hunt for us.

Hunting egos can easily get in the way of common sense.

I think we will probably run something traditional for weight and vel and something that is laser beam fast, like 4k, and something that is heavy high bc. You know, for the wind bucking capabilities. lol. I am liking the idea of running shooting teams. I want to give as much advantage to the shooter as possible and hopefully show how it should be done. Even with that I am sure it will be quite humbling. This will wind up being one of those things where the date gets set and we do it regardless of the conditions. June in MT can be anything from snow storm to the worst mirage you can imagine. Or both! I'm hoping we can shoot it well. Either way it will be educational.

I talked with Erin with Giving Back TV and we are planning to make this happen in June and make an episode. I think it would be fun to do teams. Shooter and caller. That is how Brian and I have always hunted long range. IMO it is how it should be done. Shooter only shoots and the caller has to make all the calls for range and wind. I still have no preconceived notion that I can hit everything. I would like to get a few guys together for this running a variety of equipment. I think filming this and getting it out is an eye opener for a lot of hunters.

I need a trip that way anyhow! Observer if nothing else.

Maybe @ButterBean can make it for an Ultracat handoff.

I think we will probably run something traditional for weight and vel and something that is laser beam fast, like 4k, and something that is heavy high bc. You know, for the wind bucking capabilities. lol. I am liking the idea of running shooting teams. I want to give as much advantage to the shooter as possible and hopefully show how it should be done. Even with that I am sure it will be quite humbling. This will wind up being one of those things where the date gets set and we do it regardless of the conditions. June in MT can be anything from snow storm to the worst mirage you can imagine. Or both! I'm hoping we can shoot it well. Either way it will be educational.
I sure wish I could come up with my brother! We’d probably have to wrestle for who got to shoot😂, but his rifle and load are better than mine, so I’d have to defer to him. One of our problems is we don’t get much wind in East Texas, so practice is almost impossible. 😔

Kansas first of June shootin a few PDs.

Maybe…… dates please.

If I’m a shooter, it’ll be a rum.
And it’ll be a speedy one!

Edited to add some random thoughts.

With a 10lb rum, having a spotter to call your miss is a necessity.

I feel like most in this circle can hit 100 milk jugs……IF they bring enough ammo, and maybe an extra barrel or 2.

Maybe set an aggregate limit on misses. Perhaps 10, or 20 misses? I may reach it on my first target, or my 99th target.

Last edited:
Back