Rifle stock picture

Metaphorically, that stock is a symbol of a long gone era to me.
A time when craftsmen poured their soul into an art piece that, when finished, was fondled by anyone that touched it. Eventually it would be lovingly slipped into a scabbard headed for a month long wilderness adventure, and in bad weather would be cuddled inside a sleeping bag for protection, not from bears, but to keep the stock dry.
Today's stocks are more practical and quickly manufactured. They are even more efficient, but when put together, they are more likely tossed on an ATV for a hasty Long Range "bangim-up, gettem home affair. The stock won't get a second look, and the only thing of interest will be how many likes are posted on social media about the amazing shot that was made.

I miss that laid back simple era and the peace that came with enjoying a fine piece of wood.
I can tell it's already a treasure Mountainman.

Last edited:
I will always be a fan of a well made wood stock, a wood stock exposes the care that went into building the gun that you can see and feel even before shooting the gun.

When I refinished my old Rem700 stock I also used tung oil and its held up great even against the PNW November rains.

This one's for you Farleg, I know you like the wood stocks. Only two coats of Tung oil so far. This one is going to be home for a 70 year old Winchester model 70.......30-06 of course. :)

Regards

View attachment 2632
Cool when do I pick it up 🤣🤔

Can’t wait to see the finished product
That grain does look so good

Thanks for sharing & look forward to the progress of this one
Cheers

That is one beautiful piece of timber!

I’m the other end of the spectrum GL all of my rifles have blued steel and timber stocks and I’m thinking I wouldn’t mind trying out something stainless steel and carbon fibre.. see what all this modernity is about!

Can't wait for you to sand it and put on some coats of Tru Oil or similar. Bet the grain/figure is going to be spectacular😳!!!!!
Thanks GL, it's sealed with a couple coats of tung oil right now. Still have some tweaking on the inletting and have to figure out how I want to finish the redwood tip. Once I get all the metal fitting the way I want I'll bed it, then seal the remaining inletting and start finishing the stock. Doing all this in my "spare" time as this is going to be my personal rifle.

Back