Rifle stock picture

Mountainman - I really like your new bottom line, "The 30-06 is never a mistake." You have inspired me! It is time for me to do a complete refresh on mine. It is an Ackley Improved version. I was a broke graduate student in Portland. My future father-in-law introduced me to a Mr. Howley. He was a local gunsmith who was older than I am now. He was having trouble due to losing some of his strength. He wanted to retire, but had several jobs to get done, about 6 months worth. We bargained. If I would help in his shop two days a week till he was done, he would pay me with a customized action and barrel ready to go on a stock. He talked me out of a left handed Brazilian Mauser that he had. I ended up with a Remington 700 squared and trued by him, and a Douglas supreme barrel 26 inches long with a Weatherby blue. My other part-time job in graduate school was working at a high end refinishing shop. I found a really nice piece of Myrtlewood and that is what I made the stock out of. I have shot 90 percent of my big game with this gun. I think it needs some love! Thanks for the inspiration Mountainman. Time to breakout the sandpaper.
Myrtle1.jpgMyrtle2.jpg

Mountainman - I really like your new bottom line, "The 30-06 is never a mistake." You have inspired me! It is time for me to do a complete refresh on mine. It is an Ackley Improved version. I was a broke graduate student in Portland. My future father-in-law introduced me to a Mr. Howley. He was a local gunsmith who was older than I am now. He was having trouble due to losing some of his strength. He wanted to retire, but had several jobs to get done, about 6 months worth. We bargained. If I would help in his shop two days a week till he was done, he would pay me with a customized action and barrel ready to go on a stock. He talked me out of a left handed Brazilian Mauser that he had. I ended up with a Remington 700 squared and trued by him, and a Douglas supreme barrel 26 inches long with a Weatherby blue. My other part-time job in graduate school was working at a high end refinishing shop. I found a really nice piece of Myrtlewood and that is what I made the stock out of. I have shot 90 percent of my big game with this gun. I think it needs some love! Thanks for the inspiration Mountainman. Time to breakout the sandpaper.
View attachment 4173View attachment 4174
Wow Les, that is a beautiful rifle with a great story behind it! Great work on the stock! I don't have it in me to build a stock from scratch and envy those with the patience to do so.

Regards

HarperC

I do believe it was a few years back when we were getting real stupid with velocity in the 30 calibers and you mentioned it. I wasn't sure if it was yours but I was willing to give you credit for it, for your prowess as a Rifleman sir. At least that's the respect you get coming across my phone👍

Anywho, I've got all the faith in the world that Pappy's going to make that thing shoot bug holes🙂

💥🚀🔨☠️
I've lost more than a few brain cells in the last few years, so it's likely you remember better.

I do love a .35 Whelen.

@Mountainman

You could certainly persuade a guy to start shooting wooden stocks again. I would likely scratch that beautiful stock on my first hunt with it. But rub a little oil in it and remember how it got there. It definitely adds character but it’s also hard to see something like that get marked up.

You definitely take pride in your work.

Kneedeep

Back