Hammer Trail applicator kit

@riceman
@Mountainman

What are your definitive conclusions?

1. Do hammer hunters produce the hammer trail without oil?
2. Do HHT produce the hammer trail with tip?
3. Do HHT produce the hammer trail without tip?
4. Do HHT produce the hammer trail without tip with oil inserted?

If applicable, How did the trail differ from HHT oil inserted and non oil compare or contrast?

Last edited:
What are your definitive conclusions?

1. Do hammer hunters produce the hammer trail without oil?
2. Do HHT produce the hammer trail with tip?
3. Do HHT produce the hammer trail without tip with oil inserted?

As you can see from the last videos I don't think the new Hammer Hunters without oil produce a trail.
The Hammer Hunters with oil did produce a trail
The HHT's without oil did not produce a trail
The HHT's with oil may produce a slight trail but was not visible on video. One person out of three watching live swore they saw a trail.
The HHT's with no oil did not produce a trail

There may still be an atmospheric requirement involved. Also overcast day may not be ideal. Humidity was quite high today for this area at over 70%. Still questions to be answered. Why would HH produce a nice visible trail with oil and not HHT? No obvious trail at all with no oil on either bullet although there are reports of visible trails with both. Weather? Velocity? RPM? Alcohol? Many questions still not answered.

The only thing I think I proved today is that I can reproduce the trail in the HH's that we used to see although not as distinct as I recall, that could most likely be my choice of oil used.

Last edited:
So I am gonna run some 117's in my fast twist 1:8 .270 and set up video camera. I am thinking MV about 3550 which is about 320,000 RPM's. Or a 90HH at 4K is 360,000 RPM's. I still wonder about the effect of RPM in this scenario. 🤷🏻‍♂️ But still in bow season so this will be in January.

I think it could be a combo of the oil and the old style bands that gave the greatest hammer trail.
The results above show better trails with the HH line and oil.
The HHT showed a slight trail only with no tip and oil added.

Kris

Reactions: BFD
OK, so oil accentuates Hammer trail in both HH and HHT (Without tips).
Next question...is it burning out, or off gassing? I suspect off gassing as I don't think the temps in flight are reaching burning point. With this said, I think grease wouldn't produce the trail.

Hey, how about tacky type oil like chainsaw bar oil or I've noticed Lucas extreme gun oil? Lucas already comes in a needle oiler bottle.
Did I just volunteer myself for an experiment? :LOL:

When a vapor trail is created by an airplane the trail stays visible for several minutes after it’s created. (No oil involved).

How long after the shot are you seeing the trail linger?

Traditional vapor trail is just a blur (like a mirage) that leaves nothing behind. Or is this not a vapor trail?

And have we clarified weather we are seeing a traditional vapor trail or a smoke trail yet? Or both and one accentuates the other?

During washing does water contaminate the oil? Then after sitting does the oil separate/float up on the water. Is it actually water vapor seen in the trail or oil vapor?

Anyone tried shooting a water filled tip?

Watched Weatherbys recent mule deer hunt videos. The hammer hunters and the ttsx both made very visible vapor trails.

The last two bucks near videos end are ttsx. No hollow points filled with oil there. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Two other videos in the series with hammer kills/trails.

All the hammer hunters I’ve videoed have shown the traditional vapor trail/blur. No big cloudy puffy trails. Purchased 2020-mid2023.
Filmed in cloudy or shady conditions from 50-80*+f.

Last edited:
This is known to most shooters as 'trace' - I'm not sure that vapor trail is a good descriptor because it has nothing to do with vapor, and it is local to the bullet - as in, it leaves no trail.

Trace - not vapor, not a trail
Yessir.........all supersonic bullets leave this. Going back to the top of this thread in Steve's original post and THAT is what we are trying to reproduce with the oil.

This is known to most shooters as 'trace' - I'm not sure that vapor trail is a good descriptor because it has nothing to do with vapor, and it is local to the bullet - as in, it leaves no trail.

Trace - not vapor, not a trail
Thank you.

That said, I’ve never seen a vapor trail or hammer trail or any other trails from hammer bullets, just “trace”.

Lots of really big blurry trace, but no trail. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Back