Another Backfire Challenge That will Certainly Raise Some Eyebrows

He is a little hard to watch but I do like some of the thought processes he comes up with.

I don't do 5 shot groups with my hunting rifles but I work hard on first cold bore accuracy. I am lucky to shoot the same target over a few days or weekends.

Now throw "in the field" conditions and a live animal into the ballgame and imagine where some of those groups would be at 400 yards!! Just wow.

It's pretty telling that it took that long to find someone that could do it. I even think he had to start calling friends to come out in order to get it done.
I'm thinking I could win his 1MOA challenge with a couple of my rifles and I'm confident that the few guys I shoot with would have no problem with it. That said my friends and I hit the range at least every other week, which is for sure not common for most hunters.
It's pretty easy to see that your basic run of the mill hunters are not 1MOA shooters.

This kind of challenge is a real side track in my opinion. I don't hunt the way I shoot at the range. At the range, I am trying to get the most accurate load possible within the speed bracket that I want to hunt at. Minimize error where I can, because as others have shared, we rarely get bench rest conditions out in the field. I'm a lefty and I practice shooting from the right side at least once a month. That practice has paid off twice during my hunting career. I have never walked up to an animal and said, "Oh no, I was off an inch at 200 yards on that shot." I don't shoot groups on critters.

This kind of challenge is a real side track in my opinion. I don't hunt the way I shoot at the range. At the range, I am trying to get the most accurate load possible within the speed bracket that I want to hunt at. Minimize error where I can, because as others have shared, we rarely get bench rest conditions out in the field. I'm a lefty and I practice shooting from the right side at least once a month. That practice has paid off twice during my hunting career. I have never walked up to an animal and said, "Oh no, I was off an inch at 200 yards on that shot." I don't shoot groups on critters.
A lot of wisdom there les👍!

Although I don’t like the “shock jock” approach to these challenges, it gets attention. It gets people thinking and talking about their own equipment and possibilities. I have found the backfire guy hard to watch but again he knows how to get attention.

To me, getting your hunting rifle as accurate as possible helps mitigate the amount of error when hunting. As you’ve stated Les, rarely a bench rest available when hunting. But when you watch someone shoot a 3-5” group at 100 yards with the best rest they can get, how far off of their aim point are they in a hunting scenario?

I agree that most don’t complain about impacting an inch off of aim point on an animal, but where’s the line on how far off is acceptable?

And how far off of your aim point you are in a hunting situation usually depends on how much time you have, rests available, distance to target, wind and excitement level. So consider 3” group and suppose you’re sighted to the middle of that group. So 1.5” off in any direction for each shot. Compounded by distance. At what range would you feel comfortable missing your aim point on an animal considering wobble of a poor rest?

It’s full circle with with the milk jug challenge. For those that don’t actually have a good process for hunting long range, it might encourage them to try their own milk jug challenge and show them their limitations of theory vs reality.

Great discussions
Kneedeep

I like the idea of what he's doing, his style is a little of putting to me but really just setting up at a gun range and doing this probably has a net positive.

It does not represent how an experienced, mature hunter would shoot who has longer in their tool box.
I watched one where he had them doing berpies between shots, for me and those I hunt with being ramped up for a shot means I don't shoot.
We basically changed what conditions need to be met before a shot is considered, running up to a tree or sitting up on a back pack, no rear bag, these are non starters for a long range shot so from that view point these challenges are not representative of a legit long range capable hunter.
Again though I think on the range, especially the week before season I like it, if I had time I'd consider doing it at my local range, probably saves a few animals.

Well said Bigngreen. After reading your post, you brought to mind 4 animals (3 deer and one elk) where I held in front of the animal (they were standing) due to wind-drift and nailed them. Most long-range shooters wouldn't consider 400-460 yards that long either.

Back