154HHT, 163HHT and 168HHT in a 300 RUM

Thanks for the info Joe! I've got a ladder of the 154s using H4831. I need the afternoon thunderstorms to stop so I can run them.

Cartridge base to ogive. CBTO

That's the number I get from my Stony Point (comparitor) gauge. You newbies might call it the Hornady gauge.

The 168hht crimps in the middle (ish) of the top valley. Looks more like the one Butterbean does then the pure middle crimp. If that makes any sense?🤷 left bullet.Screenshot_20230627_120130_Photos.jpg

You know this George, you're just being hard-headed.😜😜

Mumble Mumble Mumble!!**

3.995 minus max cartridge length of 2.850 equals
1.145 subtracted from bullet length of
@gltaylor, that means he's got at least 0.282 inches total of bullet ahead of the ogive and in the case combined. Plenty with a good crimp, lol.

Cartridge base to ogive. CBTO

That's the number I get from my Stony Point (comparitor) gauge. You newbies might call it the Hornady gauge.

The 168hht crimps in the middle (ish) of the top valley. Looks more like the one Butterbean does then the pure middle crimp. If that makes any sense?🤷 left bullet.View attachment 1728

You know this George, you're just being hard-headed.😜😜

Mumble Mumble Mumble!!**
Not being hard headed. Just verifying your info.
Most data in tables shows an OAL around 3.8+ in the RUMs up to 198gr bullets.
And yes I had/have stoney points tools before they sold to Hornady.

I was just being a pecker head George.(whatz new) I know you knew. I've always used this measurement. the tips have varied and especially when we were shooting cup and core soft points. I just like this number a little better. I currently load two cartridges that use the AOL length. The 45-90 and the 358 Winchester. I don't have those adapters for my comparator gauge. probably won't get them for the 45 caliber but they're wrote on a list to be ordered for the 358.

Joe

Pretty simple. I was harassing Joe16.
He didn't zero his mike to eliminate the length of the ogive measuring insert before he listed the length.
As long as he is consistent and knows what he's measuring it's fine. It just won't make sense to most of us.o_O
CBTO is virtually always shorter than OAL!

I simply annotate the number that my dial Caliper gives me. this is listed as cbto.20230628_194716.jpg

This method of measurement is OAL and I simply annotate the number that my dial Caliper gives me.
20230628_194839.jpg

This place is special.

JOE

The machine shop I used to work at wouldn't allow us to use digitals so I never got used to them. I paid $128 for those midatoya's back in 1996 all the while making $8 an hour with a family of four.

The batteries are still going strong in them👍

Went out this morning in the Orange Grove and shot the 154's and 168 and finalized my loads, at least my July loads. This will probably change slightly come October.

After that I came back and ran the numbers against the 137s that I shot last year. The clear winner was the 154 hht. Looks like that's going to be my bullet for distance at camp this year. I plan on building four of the 154s and four of the 168s and shooting them at 500 yards and let that help me make my decision. But right now I'm leanin 154.

20230709_123156.jpg

I'd say Hammer HQ achieved their goal of creating a highly accurate high BC bullet.

This place is awesome

Joe

Back