300 H&H project started

I will be anxiously following your super 30 build and load development, I picked one up last year to complete my HH arsenal, joe is the only other person hear that has loaded hammers that I know of I believe we have same rifle. I am still not happy with my load yet hopefully I will soon, brass is hard to find but there is some nosler out there and Bertram wow it’s pricey.

Looking forward to your build. One of my hunting partners in the past used the 300 H&H. It was a sweet shooting rifle. With that long tapered case it was one of the smoothest feeding bolt action rifles I have played with. Not so sure that is as important with Hammers!

Got the barrel blank in the lathe this morning. Have a couple days helping my son remodel his house but I'm hoping by Monday I'm blasting to prep for cerakote. I'm excited to see what it can do with newer powders and hammer bullets. 300 H&H always shot the lighter bullets with less fuss than most 300's so I expect I'll be starting with 137's and 154's. I've got 100 new brass somewhere. I've had them so long I don't even remember what brand they are. Gonna be fun.

Regards

I have not, the barrel needed floated so i spent some on the channel floating it. The lug looked good to me, the gun does shoot sub MOA good enough for me just not hitting the speed's i want with 150 PH, seem's i hit pressure early with gun going off book loads from nosler, it could be just the gun. I just need more time figuring out what i can get out of her safely might have to order me up some of those new fancy 154 168 HHT and try them out! man i went down this hammer rabbit hole and cant seem to climb out of it.:ROFLMAO:

Have you re bedded your model 700? Mine shot way better after I rebedded the rifle and applied a little tip pressure.

Joe
Im not sure about tip pressure how would you go about that? small amount of bedding compound just curious. what kinda of brass are you using
just not real confident in nosler HH brass, i have used in other caliber's with no issue's.

The brass I'm using is Bertram.

Yes you do use a small amount of bedding compound.

I start by bedding the barreled action ensuring that the barrel Channel is not touching the barrel anywhere.

Screenshot_20230707_175101_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20230707_174820_Photos.jpg

After this is done I clean out an area at the end of the stock about where the sling swivel stud is to hold the Cradle. In front of the Cradle I stack masking tape one layer at a time until I achieve approximately 1/2 of a turn of screw pressure on the barrel which is approximately .025 of an inch. I'm not sure how a professional gunsmith would do it but that's how I've been doing it for years and have had no issues and it'll really tame a rifle down.

Screenshot_20230707_174527_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20230707_181658_Photos.jpg

As far as the bedding material and release agent goes, I use these. JB Weld and pure lanolin

20230707_182048.jpg

I hope this helps

Joe

Got home from renovation early. Barrel tenon is cut and threaded. Bolt head recess is cut. Ready to start cutting chamber........oh would you look at that...........it's beer-thirty. :)

Regards

With the 30 caliber cartridges that are available today, why does one choose a 300 H&H for a custom build?

Back