300 H&H project started

Got the stock whittled out this morning to fit the new slightly larger barrel. All that's left to do is bedding and let it cure. Kinda outsmarted myself with the sniper grey cerakote. In my little mine the stock was darker than it really is. I should have gone with gunmetal grey for more contrast.

Mount a scope in the morning and take her for a test drive :)

300 H&H3.jpg

How many rounds before you feel it's ready/safe for an intentional primer pop??

Well............that didn't go quite the way I envisioned. The break in was as expected with a moderate load of IMR4350 under 151 AH bullets. Everything they say about how smooth the 300 H&H feeds is absolutely true. Stuck the first round down in the magazine and closed the bolt and my first though was the bolt went right over top the cartridge.....nope it was in the chamber. When I went to my test loads it turns out I'm not quite as smart as I thought I was when guestimating powder charges. #1 with 75 grains of N550 was way max. Very heavy bolt and while it didn't blow the primer you can see black all around it so it came very close. Also heavy ejector mark.

It did however hit 3639 fps so Joe wasn't very far off on the velocity. :) Will rethink and reload probably with N555, N560 and whatever else I dream up.

Here's your pictures Muddy

300 H&H chrono.jpg300 H&H primer.jpg

V V load data is all but useless and the printed version should be used in conjunction with StaBall 6.5 powder for fire starter. I have more than a few loads that are 15% over their max before I find pressure. That being said I certainly would have been better off starting at 72 or 73 :) The upside is I certainly have a baseline from which to work.

Regards

Back