300 H&H project started

Didja ever have one of those range days where you wish you'd just stayed home? That was my morning, geez. Went to turn the chronograph on and realized some dumba$$ had left it turned on two days ago. Changed battery and was early enough this morning I could set it in the shade. Didn't matter, couldn't get the darn thing to work no matter what. Found pressure with the 28 Nosler with 120 grain HH and magpro but don't know how fast.........guesstimate nicely over 3900.

Dropped back to 71 grains 550 to try the new 154's in the H&H, shot well with no pressure. Found pressure sign with 72.5 but once again no idea how fast (I think I'll save my last shot for the chronograph screen). Also doesn't look like it's going to group well.

Also loaded 3 124's up to shoot for group today. They were a little longer than last trip but I thought they would be fine. First shot was a little tight loading..........hmmm, I guess I'll have to push them in a little further. Click.........misfire, what the hell. Opened the bolt, left he bullet in the barrel and filled my action with powder. Deep sigh. Chronograph lives to piss me off another day.

Some days things go well, some days things go well sh!t. Is it too early to start drinking?

Didja ever have one of those range days where you wish you'd just stayed home? That was my morning, geez. Went to turn the chronograph on and realized some dumba$$ had left it turned on two days ago. Changed battery and was early enough this morning I could set it in the shade. Didn't matter, couldn't get the darn thing to work no matter what. Found pressure with the 28 Nosler with 120 grain HH and magpro but don't know how fast.........guesstimate nicely over 3900.

Dropped back to 71 grains 550 to try the new 154's in the H&H, shot well with no pressure. Found pressure sign with 72.5 but once again no idea how fast (I think I'll save my last shot for the chronograph screen). Also doesn't look like it's going to group well.

Also loaded 3 124's up to shoot for group today. They were a little longer than last trip but I thought they would be fine. First shot was a little tight loading..........hmmm, I guess I'll have to push them in a little further. Click.........misfire, what the hell. Opened the bolt, left he bullet in the barrel and filled my action with powder. Deep sigh. Chronograph lives to piss me off another day.

Some days things go well, some days things go well sh!t. Is it too early to start drinking?
Oal guage and calipers not in your repertoire?😜

hey mountainman
Yes got one of those days here
Just want to get velocities of the various loads before we get the critters impacted & can autopsy the critters with certainty on what’s doing what terminally & it’s majorly windy as crap here just sent 5 down range & the Labrador won’t read

Man I hate the Labrador @ the moment 🤬

So I spat it come in side poured a bundy re grouped & all my problems went away lol

Spoke to Steve he was shocked as thought it was around 6am & was somewhat relieved when I told him it was midday

Well guys I’ll put up a thread to start the antics to come of the down under trip up north 🤔 I like that title & it will come out why

So keep plugging away everyone
Looking forward to your results & banter along the way
Cheers

Well it's time to wrap this up and move on. Switched to Fed 215 primers this morning with a load of 71.5 grains N550. Velocity was an average of 3484 so came in a little lower than I hoped. ES was 14 so that's acceptable. With the primer switch this morning it shot a sub 3/4" group. I'm hoping I can tweak that with the crimp. Hunter powder is still in the running as it hit 3489 fps this morning with no pressure sign.

The 124's shoot very well with a 1/2" group and a velocity of 3844 also using N550

GL, I will post all the load data soon.

Regards

Well it's time to wrap this up and move on. Switched to Fed 215 primers this morning with a load of 71.5 grains N550. Velocity was an average of 3484 so came in a little lower than I hoped. ES was 14 so that's acceptable. With the primer switch this morning it shot a sub 3/4" group. I'm hoping I can tweak that with the crimp. Hunter powder is still in the running as it hit 3489 fps this morning with no pressure sign.

The 124's shoot very well with a 1/2" group and a velocity of 3844 also using N550

GL, I will post all the load data soon.

Regards
I’m looking forward to your load data😀I don’t have any 550 but I do have some Hunter although my preliminary tests were not good on paper but speed was better than both the 4350’s I have tested. Im not even coming close to the speeds you’re getting 🤷‍♂️

@Mountainman

I really enjoy reading all of your posts. You tell it straight. Most of us have to deal with similar issues when dealing with multiple rifles and calibers. Life is not perfect, it’s just a matter of how we move forward. I hope you continue to post your projects. They are educational and entertaining at the same time!

Regards
Kneedeep

Back