Another Backfire Challenge That will Certainly Raise Some Eyebrows

To address the accuracy question, for legit long range at 1000 yards I want to see 2-3 shots under 5 inches, I have guns that will shoot in the 3 inch range. I don't care about more than the first shot and a follow up, this gun is not designed for groups though built to BR specs their not BR chamberings.
I've missed two times the first year I truly long range hunted, a miss when hunting means we're done shooting and I'm spending the rest of the day walking and figuring out what happened and then taking another shot to verify the lesson.
The follow up shot is just to know it's there, I have used it once on the first bull I took at true long range, first round wrecked him but held his feet so second one broke shoulders.

I do plot all my hits on game, I mark shot hold, placement and exit.

I tried to do that yesterday, had a one inch orange dot on a white background. I did it. On the second try! I could do it fairly well using my Rem 700 Tactical in .223. But using my Browning B78 in 25-06 was hard. Three in a tiny cluster, then two low, A 1\8 inch out of the dot. Better luck with my 7-08, good break on it real easy recoil. Still hard to keep five in the dot. Only did it three of five times.Burned up a bunch of custom ammo yesterday. If I had to do it on command, I'd use the .223. 50 grain VMax. Scary accurate. One of the 700 s built as Rem was going under, guess I got lucky. It's a good one.

Last edited:
I like the idea of what he's doing, his style is a little of putting to me but really just setting up at a gun range and doing this probably has a net positive.

It does not represent how an experienced, mature hunter would shoot who has longer in their tool box.
I watched one where he had them doing berpies between shots, for me and those I hunt with being ramped up for a shot means I don't shoot.
We basically changed what conditions need to be met before a shot is considered, running up to a tree or sitting up on a back pack, no rear bag, these are non starters for a long range shot so from that view point these challenges are not representative of a legit long range capable hunter.
Again though I think on the range, especially the week before season I like it, if I had time I'd consider doing it at my local range, probably saves a few animals.
I agree I just like that he shows “ The Average Joe “ is just average

Butter Bean, its like85 % of the people I load for. I show them the targets where I worked up a load to best ability of the rifle. Then hand it to them telling them to shoot it before you hunt. They and I get into a rifle different. I get behind the rifle, squared up. Then watch them shoot it across their body with the butt against their upper arm????? It doesn't hit the same place they say. DUD! Most none of them will practice until two days before season. You can't fix that! PS, a lot of them are well healed and brag about there special rifles and the custom ammo loaded especially for it. Doesn't matter they can't hit squat with it.

The real issue is the complete lack of honesty by shooters across the board. I see them at range. Cherry pick groups and even toss out "flyers" that enlarge group to its actual TRUE size. Shooting MOA ain't easy period. I know when I just don't have it. I also know that I HAVE to shoot a lot to be consistent. I KNOW I have to shoot a lot to keep focus for good groups. I KNOW I have to STOP drinking caffeinated products to shoot consistently. I KNOW I have to load like it's gonna save my granddaughters from a werewolf!

It's HARD to check ALL the boxes to shoot small consistently!

But hey! A 6.5CM with factory ammo after 3 shots is 1K ready!

I'll tell anyone who listens to me, I can't shoot anything that kicks the snot out of me more than twice before I'm going to have problems. I can focus on one shot, but when you know the hammer is about to smack you on the cheek and shoulder. I'm out. Hardest kicking thing I have is a .405 Winchester, 250 SH at 2200 FPS. I can shoot two into a small spot. Then quit. I love my 223 Rem 700. But even that will start to get to me after about twenty or thirty shots. Then I stop and admire the scenery. Old age has crept up on me, never saw it coming.

I'll tell anyone who listens to me, I can't shoot anything that kicks the snot out of me more than twice before I'm going to have problems. I can focus on one shot, but when you know the hammer is about to smack you on the cheek and shoulder. I'm out. Hardest kicking thing I have is a .405 Winchester, 250 SH at 2200 FPS. I can shoot two into a small spot. Then quit. I love my 223 Rem 700. But even that will start to get to me after about twenty or thirty shots. Then I stop and admire the scenery. Old age has crept up on me, never saw it coming.
Same. A lightweight 12ga slug gun and an even lighter 300 WBY mag have etched themselves into my shoulder, I mean memory. I can NOT shoot well if dread is one of my emotions.

There's no way I would put $100 on my ability to put five shots inside a one inch circle on the very 1st try. I'd like to see Backfire do it. I have a CZ 453 Varmint I'd bet on at fifty yards. But only if the wind is calm😁

I wonder how many in this challenge started with having just cleaned their rifle?

Although at a dynamite shoot decades ago, I shot at a pop can 450-500 yards away off and on all day. 4" groups aren't bad until target is 2.5x5". Never hit it, but was never off much either. Can managed to sit in middle of group, creased it, through dirt on it, but it emerged the winner.

Also was the first range finder, a Swaro rep was there, and it was the size of a large encyclopedia (remember before wikipedia). Worked good, corresponded well with the survey equipment used to set some targets.

Back