LabRadar?

BFD

Hammer Time Executive member
Straight shoot me here fellers. Worth the money? Finicky? Some other brand?

I do what Richcotte does; problem is, my crony backup never works right, so I have a magneto speed for pressure strings, and then abandon it for working up a load with groups. It would be really nice if I had a reliable working chronograph the entire time. I wan't excited about spending $600 on a Lab radar, and they weren't available anyways when I bought the magneto, but now I wish I had the Lab radar. The crazy thing is, I will work up a pressure string with the magneto speed with 5 rounds of 1 gr. powder increment each and it will go into a 1" group, and then I'll pick a powder volume, load up 3, and they'll group worse than the previous spread with the magneto on. Maybe I need to hunt with a magneto speed hanging off the end of my barrel!

Ive heard more bad reviews that they are finicky to set up that I no longer regret buying one. I use a magnetospeed for initial pressure ladders, then a cheap Caldwell Optical chrono for zeroing and continued velocity measurements, happy with both. If I had to pic one Id probably go with the Optical.

Worthless to me as it wont read anything over 4K
X2 brother
But I bought one & now I think I’m going to move it on as money would be better utilised in other ventures

Bfd i had no major issues with mine but once the 4k bug bites you just don’t worry about getting it out anymore only thing I found was to have a nice clear shooting lane or results got a odd miss & use a battery pack as saves heaps on batteries as they do chew through them
Cheers

I do what Richcotte does; problem is, my crony backup never works right, so I have a magneto speed for pressure strings, and then abandon it for working up a load with groups. It would be really nice if I had a reliable working chronograph the entire time. I wan't excited about spending $600 on a Lab radar, and they weren't available anyways when I bought the magneto, but now I wish I had the Lab radar. The crazy thing is, I will work up a pressure string with the magneto speed with 5 rounds of 1 gr. powder increment each and it will go into a 1" group, and then I'll pick a powder volume, load up 3, and they'll group worse than the previous spread with the magneto on. Maybe I need to hunt with a magneto speed hanging off the end of my barrel!
Sounds like you need the weight on the end of the barrel to tune it.

It sounds like I may be the odd man out, but I love my LabRadar and if you don't shoot beyond 4K much, I think it's about as good as it gets.
I've found it more accurate than my Chrony and I find it much less hassle to set up than the optical. I mostly shoot early in the morning and I regularly have light issues with my Chrony not reading. (see my post on Chronographs forum) I never get that with my LabRadar. I also could never accept the POI changes with the magneto speed. The LabRadar allows you to shoot ladders and tune your load at the same time. I don't regret buying mine.
I actually picked up a lightly used one at a greatly reduced price. Maybe Farleg will sell his cheap!

My 40 year old Chrony finally died. I replaced it with a magneto speed. I find it a pain in the butt. So, I went ahead and bought a Competition Electronics ProChrono LTD I am very happy with it. It isn't super expensive. I find it matches the speeds with the magneto speed. I looked hard and long at the LabRadar. I'm like ButterBean, I like to play above 4,000 fps. The ProChrono will go to 9,999 fps. The ProChrono has worked perfect the last 3 sessions out. Less than 150 bucks from Midway. I have no doubt that the LabRadar is an excellent tool. It all depends on what you want your chrono to do, and how much money you want to spend. I really only care about fps and checking consistency of the shots.

Last edited:
I’ve had a ProChrono for 15yrs but I know there’s different reads between cloudy and sunny days. Also in the morns & eves. It’s not that I don’t like the range. I love it, but I hate that my time & efforts get sabotaged by the lighting conditions.

Well, they’re all out of stock anyway! 🤣

I have owned and used allllll of them. The optical have been sold or thrown in the garbage. I currently own the Magneto speed V3 and Labradar. They are both super awesome and have their pros and cons. I use the labradar the most and wouldn't be without one. It works great for all of my needs as I have no rifles shooting over 4000 fps. It is easy to set up and shoot and my only complaint would be....an external batter pack is a must as it eats normal batteries. With my external battery pack I can easily get 20-30 range trips out of a charge. You need to read the instructions and know where the muzzle of your rifles go in relation to labradar based on your muzzle devise.

The magneto speed V3 is easy to use and a lot smaller and cheaper. The big con to the magneto speed is you have it hanging off he end of your barrel and it affects POI.

I have ran the two side by side and the accuracy of both units is withing 1-2 fps. Place and a time for both so I keep both. A guy can never have to many toys.

I love mine. Just don't forget to arm it before you shoot. I still pull that trick occasionally. Also if your muzzle blast is too close to the unit you get crazy 5000-8000 fps readings as the radar will bounce between your muzzle blast and the unit a couple times. Set it for 18 inches then place it at about 12 inches. Works every time. Use a cell phone charger and cord instead of the AA batteries.

Do you remember the Oehler 33? I bought it in 1979. In 1991 it went in for repair. Working ever since. In fact this very morning I fired six groups starting with 99.5 grains and dropping to 97.0 grains. Each group used 1/2 grain less than the previous load. The velocities ran from 4,330 feet per second down to 4,180 fps. It obviously still works.

I always read a lot of comments negative in opticals. I have used a Pro Chronograph for close to 30 years. On 3rd one since the last 2 were sent down range from errant oops! Once from me and once from someone I allowed to test his load at range. Never again on that!

The key to consistency to that I have embraced does take some extra thought and time. I have a 15' length of paracord with clips that I attach to tripod and rest that sets the distance pretty consistent. Sun screen to insure solid shadow pickup, must be perfectly level and perfectly aligned to direction of bullet path to target. I have level on tripod and on the Pro Chronograph to insure its perfectly level. I chrono everything at range to validate every load shot even for just trigger practice. I have shot my loads with Lab Radar and velocities pretty much same as I get. I do like getting 4K + for my 55HH out of .243 out of it!!

Velocities are nice to have but they are just a starting point to help finalize actual range drops. At least from my perspective.

BTW, have you ever chronographed a chronograph going downrange after being hit square in read out face with 12ga 1 1/4oz slug at 1450fps? Impressive how fast it disintegrated heading downrange. I called Pro Chronograph to order new one and lady said maybe we can repair it until I told her destroyed with slug. She still might be laughing.

BTW, have you ever chronographed a chronograph going downrange after being hit square in read out face with 12ga 1 1/4oz slug at 1450fps? Impressive how fast it disintegrated heading downrange. I called Pro Chronograph to order new one and lady said maybe we can repair it until I told her destroyed with slug. She still might be lausing
Have you ever stared ar your brother in disbelief after he shot an arrow into your brand new Prochrono? Had only registered two arrows and bang flop.
I think I could have got off with the right jury but I just let him buy me a new one

Back